Bad Ram?

Corban227

Gawd
just got a new SSD and 4 more gigs of gskill ddr3 ripjaw 1333 ram for my computer.
as im going to install windows i keep on getting a BSOD when i reach the expanding files section.
so first i went and put my over clock back to default. go to install it again but this time
there is a BSOD and the reason was memory managment. im not sure what that means.
I now took out the new ram and my computer is installing windows properly.

is my ram bad or should i wait to install it till after i get windows installed (but i don't think it matters when i install it)

What he said. Just download Memtest and run it. If you get errors at all then try running it with each stick in the PC individually.

ran mem test and failed. i went back to bios and bumped up the voltage one more settings just to check (with 4 gigs had at 1.5, when first on 8 i had it at 1.56 and now its 1.6) and it worked with 1.6 . i though was kinda strange because ive never had to raise the voltage a whole tenth when installing new ram, but if it works im not going to complain =D

ok another quick question. the voltage change only affected my ram for a day. im now back to blue screens with the reason of "Memory Management"

im now in the RMA process with new egg. is it possible that the motherboard is bad? and if so how would i find that out?

hey corban, I think gskill + gigabyte ... they must hate each other or something.

I have a ga-ep45-ud3p and 2x2gb of gskill ddr2 1000 ram and they do NOT play well with each other. Apparently, anything over ddr2 800, auto settings are not stable and (I am) advised to use manual settings.

I know you have ddr3, but maybe try checking the gskill forums and see if they have a few threads that relate your ram to your motherboard?

Good luck

thx for the info. ill definatly check it out and will post back here when my new ram arrives.

4 gigs runs great and im hoping the 4 gigs i RMAed were just bad sticks

just go my RMA ram from newegg and so far so good. no crashes or BSOD. im going to run prime 95 for a bit just to see (maybe will do mem test when i go to sleep for a while)

Back