Bad RAM?

05_GTO

n00b
When I first built my computer I only bought 2G's of Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 900(PC2 7200) and have had zero issues with it, worked perfeftly. I've just bought another 2G's of it and just now put it in. Now it's showing all 4 sticks but it's only shoing 2.75G's of RAM? Is there something else I need to do or did I just get some bad ones?

Well after taking out the older sticks the new ones are just fine. Is there something I need to do to get 4G's or can XP Pro only support 2.75G's?

Comp Specs... OCZ 700 Watt Power Supply | EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe | EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB | Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM & Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM HDD's | Etc.

The MOBO is good for up to 8G's of RAM. So this being my first comp I don't know if I have to do something else, or if it's just the OS, etc?

It's the OS, if you want all 4GB seen and usable, use a 64-bit OS. Otherwise, a portion of usable memory addresses get pinched for addressing w/ the PCIe bus, etc..

So is it just best to only have 2G's in there now, or will leaving all 4G's in there be fine? I was going to upgrade to Windows Vista in a few months after more bugs got worked out, etc.

So is it just best to only have 2G's in there now, or will leaving all 4G's in there be fine? I was going to upgrade to Windows Vista in a few months after more bugs got worked out, etc.

Leaving 4GB in there should be fine, as long as you haven't had to increase the voltage/loosen latencies to do so.

Back