I had an Abit IX38 board. Specs are below:

* OCZ part number:-OCZ2RPR10664GK
* Module size and kit size:-4GB 2x2GB kit
* CPU model and rated speed:-Intel Core 2 quad Q9650
* Video card:-EVGA Nvidia 8800GS
* Power supply:-PSU corsair TX-750W 750wa
* Operating System:-XP
* CPU and System Cooling:-stock

The thing would boot and cut out in all kinds of places. I bought a Gigabyte board UD3P thinking for sure it was the board not handling the CPU. Guess what, same thing on the Gigabyte. I boots and cuts out before posting most of the time. Even when just sitting in the bios. So now I need to figure out what the issue is and since my PSU was fine all this time I suspect a bum CPU. I tried booting one Ram stick at a time, that didnt work. Its either the PSU or the CPU.

*&%! I just put my E8400 in this new board and its acting fine. What do you guys think, are the power needs for the Q9650 that much different to suspect the PSU? I have only have one hard drive and one video card attached. Thats pretty much it.

Im still thinking its a bad CPU.

may actually be a bad CPU if your e8400 works fine.

is the CPU under warranty? You can probably get it replaced. if you did overclock it I doubt they would know.

Sounds like a busted CPU, have it RMA'ed.. your PSU is more then enough for that system... infact it may be able to power 2-3 identical systems it had mode 24pins hehehe.

It's not your PSU.. The Q9650 does not use THAT much additional power. I'm running a Q9650 @ stock with a 4850 X2 using the 850TX just fine. I've even used it with an OCZ 620W.

Are you running the latest BIOS on your mobo? It could be a BIOS issue with Quads.

Most likely it's the CPU. Just play it safe:
1) Take ALL non-required hardware out (CD/DVD/add'l HDDs/modem/NIC/sound/etc..)
2) Try booting with just 1 HDD, mobo, cpu w/hsf, and a BASIC video card (if you have one around), or use onboard (if exists).

However, based on you swapping out the Q9650 for your C2D, it does appear to be the CPU.

Thanks for the validation guys. I did boot with just the basics. I even took the board out and attached the heatsink so I would see those pins punch through for the stock heatsink (whoever designed those 775 heatkinks should be shot) Anyway, I called Gigabyte to make sure there wasnt some workaround or known issue and they said no. I have the latest revision and bios on that board so I sene the CPU to be RMA'd. If I get another CPU back and it still doesn't work then Im lost.

sounds like a bad chip

since you tried 2 diff mobos i don't think its a bios issue

couple be a CPU, granted its been a long..long..long time since ive seen a bad intel cpu, but it happens

could be a flaky PSU still, what about the dedicated 4 pin (or8 pin) cpu power rails? just a thought

Not sure what you mean by the 4 or 8 pin rails. Are you asking If my PSU has a 4 or 8 pin CPU connector?

Not sure what you mean by the 4 or 8 pin rails. Are you asking If my PSU has a 4 or 8 pin CPU connector?

some power supplies (most) use the 12v cpu power or on boards like my x48 you can use 4pin or 8 pin but if there supplying bad power to the cpu it could cause all kinds of issues

what are your event logs saying the error(s) are? how long does the machine stay up before failing? how are your temps? do you have a dmm to test your psu with?

In the event you get back a new CPU and it still does this, then I would suspect the RAM. You could even try to make sure by checking all the RAM setting in your BIOS. If anything, don't leave them on Auto, set all the stock values for everything pertaining to your kit and see if it posts.

Back