Bad PSU

dude4life

n00b
Just replaced my hard drive because the old one was becoming corrupt. Windows 8.1 took a while to boot so I upgraded the SSD (had a Kingston 64 now a Samsung 120). Now whenever I play Eve Online the computer freezes. Had two 6870 running in crossfire. Removed one and now Eve does not freeze.Still takes Windows a while to boot ((I don't have times but it is much slower than my 5400 rpm laptop). Does this sound like a bad PSU?

All running on a Asrock Etreme3 with 1090T - NOT overclocked

Have you done a fresh installation of Windows? Full reformat, etc?

I suspect your problem may be with your motherboard or possibly your RAM. The only way to find out is to start swapping parts with a known good computer.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM, try using only one at a time.

Had two 6870 running in crossfire. Removed one and now Eve does not freeze.
It could be the PSU if removing one graphics card restores stability. Apparently the power consumed by one 6870 ranges from 128W - 247W. Measure voltages with a digital multimeter. But I wouldn't rule out a problem with the drivers for the SSD or Crossfire.

It could be the motherboard being unstable as well, and the slow loading could be an indicator of one bad RAM channel. Just all guesses though until it is tested with known good hardware. ASRock was not known for their great QC, especially on their lower products.

Swap out PSU and it works like a charm

What PSU did you put now?
The GS 700 is a relatively new model if i'm not mistaken. Probably you can return it to Corsair to exchange it if it has a malfunction.
P.S : How many watts can it give at +12V ?

I'll contact Corsair for a replacement. I was just going to toss it. Thanks for the advice

It could be the PSU if removing one graphics card restores stability. Apparently the power consumed by one 6870 ranges from 128W - 247W. Measure voltages with a digital multimeter. But I wouldn't rule out a problem with the drivers for the SSD or Crossfire.

247W is what a high end card consumes, like the Radeon R9 290X or GeForce Titan. A HD6870 consumes at worst 127W under 3D load, or up to 160W under Furmark. (According to TPU). The 247W figure you saw is for an entire computer, most likely.

Back