Bad PSU?

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
I think I may have a bad PSU.

I have an older C2D system that I use, recently the computer has been just shutting down, and rebooting.

I have not been getting a BSOD or any crash dumps.

Most recently the system rebooted while I was in the BIOS.

After this reboot I am almost certain that it is a PSU issue.

Can anyone verify that this sounds like a PSU issue.

I may need a recomendation for a PSU for a e6600, 4gb ram one hard drive and a 8800gts 320mb. Somthing cheap and decent.

What tool would I use to do this?

I will say that I have replaced the mobo recently as I thought that was the issue, swaped out the RAM, and swaped the CPU.

Sounds like a PSU to me. I'd just grab a new PSU on sale. Something like a Corsair CX430 or an Antec Neo Eco 420.

As far as voltage monitoring are you talking about using hardware or some software?

Heat is a non issue system can sometimes run for hours, l4d2 and skyrim.
But sometimes it just reboots seconds after loading windows, or even in the BIOS.

As long as the 430 or 420 can handle the 8800gts, not really sure whats even in the system now, got the PSU for free.

Id use software (most modern mobo's come with this) that will tell you the chipset/cpu voltages. If youve swapped mobo, cpu and ram, not much else it can be though besides PSU

Check to make sure those PSUs have enough amps on the 12V, they should but you'll want to be sure. I remember running an 8800GTS 640mb on a Corsair 520HX and had a lot of headroom, it also ran a GTX 280 with a bit of room to spare and that card sucked a lot of juice.

Software monitoring of PSU voltages is not accurate, you would need a multimeter and voltage read points if you want to be sure.

Thanks for the responses.
I guess I'm really just looking for a recommendation for a psu now. My local B&M Microcenter has this PSU, its entry level with good reviews and the price is decent.
Antec VP-450

Then again from amazon
Corasir 430

Kinda torn.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool thanks for the link.

I'm going to look into RMAing the PSU as its from Thermaltake and has a 5 year warranty on it, TR2-600w, not great from what I can see online, most likely from a big box store.
Granted if its going to cost me more than 10 bucks to ship I might just buy a new one to drop this POS.

Sounds like a PSU to me, but then, could also be an overheating issue as someone else suggested

Well I will pick a PSU up this weekend from Tiger Direct or Microcenter, dont really feel like waiting on shipping, plus need a project for this Saturday. Maybe I'll grab another hard drive and do a raid array.

Make sure you get yourself a GOOD PSU, and not just one that's on sale. Check the specs, 80+ Gold if you can afford it

Yeah, I picked up the Antec VP-450, not 80+ but in testing it has an 80% efficiency and from the reviews was a good quality psu. Well see hopefully this box is stable now that I have thrown about 100 bucks at it.

Fingers Crossed.

I'm having a similar problem,

Well the weird thing is, I used a working 850 watt supply from my other computer and when I hit the power button, the system fans spins up and lights turn on for a split second and then shut off. I looked at the motherboard Everything else seems to get power but the motherboard doesnt debug led doesnt light up.

Ive already tried taking all usb headers, audio headers off. double checking the power button header, reseating ram modules all four in four different slots, reseating power connectors. I'm thinking its either the cpu or the mobo but I dont have another 1155 board to test it.

any ideas?
mobo: Asrock 1155 z68 extreme3 gen3 latest bios
white 600t corsair case
seventeam 850w modular psu
16gb corsair vengeance
xspc reservoir with mcp655
xspc raystorm copper cpu block
phobya xtreme 200mm radiator in push pull

Back