• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Bad PSU?

superballz00

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
148
Is the drop in 12v too much compared to a typical psu? Even my cheap old 400w from 2001 doesn't drop that much. Also, the ram voltage is set to 2.2v the bios and with my old psu it still reads 2.15v.


 
Software voltage readings are hardly accurate anyway, so I would not base anything on what Everest tells you. If you're really concerned about your voltages, use a digital multimeter and measure them directly off the leads coming from the PSU.

By the way, the ATX specification limits the voltage for the three main rails to within 5% of their rating. In terms of the 12V line, that means it can be as little as 11.4V or as much as 12.6V without being out of spec (although a PSU that reached those levels would be a pretty poor unit indeed).
 
Software voltage readings are hardly accurate anyway, so I would not base anything on what Everest tells you. If you're really concerned about your voltages, use a digital multimeter and measure them directly off the leads coming from the PSU.

By the way, the ATX specification limits the voltage for the three main rails to within 5% of their rating. In terms of the 12V line, that means it can be as little as 11.4V or as much as 12.6V without being out of spec (although a PSU that reached those levels would be a pretty poor unit indeed).

+ / - 2% would be a good PSU's happy place;)
 
I can't seem to find any reviews for my psu so I don't even know if it's normally bad or if there's something wrong with mine.
 
I can't seem to find any reviews for my psu so I don't even know if it's normally bad or if there's something wrong with mine.

If those numbers are right (who knows it is software) then they are well within spec and not wrong or bad.
 
Back
Top