Bad PSU?

Ryan711

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old system running windows home server. Specs are 3200+ a64 venice, 1GB ram, 2 SATA hdd's, nvidia 6200. I don't know what the problem is, I turn it on, everything seems fine for a few hours then when I try to connect it will say "server not available".

So when I go to check on it,the system is powered off, I turn it back on and it boots right back up, rinse, repeat. It is one of those crappy ultra 500watt PSU's, the only reason i'm using it is because my spare enermax 350 didn't have 2 SATA power cables.

At first I thought it might be a heat issue because it's kind of in between a file cabinet and piano, and there is a bug in WHS which makes the cpu run 70-80% most of the time. It does have room on either side of the case though, but none the less I added more fans still same thing. It counldn't be a heat issue anyway because wouldn't that just cause it to keep rebooting and not shutdown completely?

So does this sound like a PSU issue or something else?

Don't be so sure.. ultra makes more than one 500w psu

X-finity 500
X-connect 500
V-series 500

etc. OF those, only the X-connect is a bad psu; the v-series is a budget psu that works for about 90% of people, and the x-finity 500w is a solid psu that's also good for price.

Don't be so sure.. ultra makes more than one 500w psu

X-finity 500
X-connect 500
V-series 500

etc. OF those, only the X-connect is a bad psu; the v-series is a budget psu that works for about 90% of people, and the x-finity 500w is a solid psu that's also good for price.
I have an old system
It is one of those crappy ultra 500watt PSU's
That would make it an X-Connect, right?

...That would make it an X-Connect, right?

LOL! That made my morning.

I would actually venture it IS NOT an X-Connect because the X-Connect didn't come with native SATA, but rather Molex to SATA adapters that could also be used on the Enermax.

So I'm going to say it's probably a V-Series 500W.

It could still be a heat issue in the sense that the PSU is overheating. That would cause it to shut down and not reboot. The thermal overload would trip the protection circuit. It's not overloaded because the V-Series 500W has one +12V rail, not two. There's no OCP to trip the protection circuit.

http://legitreviews.com/article/465/1/

Besides, that build wouldn't overload a PSU even if it had five 10A +12V rails! :D You're simply NOT drawing that much power.

So if it's PSU, it's either a defective or it's overheating.

Back