• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad PSU in a Dell?

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
In the mornings, I usually like to check out the forums before school on the family dell. Today, it didn't turn on, I tried holding the button, switching plugs on the surge protector, and making sure the back was plugged in. Nothing worked. About 3 minutes later, it seemed like it was trying to "jump-start" itself every second or two. It would briefly turn on (under a second on), the power LED on the front would turn on, and the hard drive would momentarily start spinning. This went on for another few minutes, and I could get no response from the computer. After a while, I was fed up and just held the power button. After about 2 seconds, it turned on and I'm posting from it now. Anybody know if this is a PSU problem or something else?
 
Probably something else. May be the motherboard.

You want to try unplugging the connector from the motherboard and jumpering the power-on wires to see if it will consistantly turn on that way.

The difference between a Dell and an ATX power supply is that your power-on lead is a GRAY WIRE on pin-11, instead of a green wire on 13. Short that gray wire to any of the black wires and see if the PSU keeps running.
 
Back
Top