Bad PSU cause random reboot?

vr4lyfe

Limp Gawd
I just built a new system thats having random reboot issues only when I game.

Its completely stable with a slight over clock to 3.1ghz (E6700). I was able to run Prime 95 for 2+ hours stable and computed Super Pi 1m in 16 seconds.

However, when I game (Counterstrike Source), it has random reboot issues. Sometimes instantly. Sometimes after a few minutes. Sometimes even after half an hour. It doesnt matter if its a firefight or just looking at a blank wall. It locks up / reboot randomly, but surely.

I am running a single 7900GTX (Dell OEM brand) on a Asus P5N-E SLi board.

Could it be a PSU issue?

BFG's website says "A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A or more)" for their 7900GTX. "Minimum 500W system power supply (with 12V rating of 34A)" for their SLi config.

My PSU the Raidmax RX-630A. Its output is +3.3V@30A, +5V@45A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@16A, [email protected], [email protected].

Could that be the problem?

I should probably mention I have 6 hard drives hooked in also, 2 for main OS raid, 4 for storage. But during my testing, it didn't seem to matter much when I unplugged the extra harddrives.

Any help is appreciated. I have spent way too much on this comp to just 'live' with these random reboots.

Run your system stock and see if you get the same results? Then slightly overclock and test again.

I'm going to bet it's your overclock.

I had to back off my overclock when Prime was stable on both cores.....but unstable in CS:Source:)

I undid my OC, and left my OO Defrag on all night.

Although it is NOT a benchmarker, defragging 4 almost full hd is pretty CPU intensive.

This morning I woke up and saw an Asus Probe2 warning message about the 12v power. First time for me to see this message.

Not sure if this is the same problem, or another new problem I have to deal with now.

my c2d e6300 is "Prime95 (dual core) stable" for >4hrs at 3.50GHz (500fsb)..... however, the system will reboot spontaneously while running 3dmark01 "Environment Bump Mapping" test within 1 second of starting (no BSOD, no events logged) at anything over 2.66GHz (380fsb)..... dunno why, I think it's the 0202 BIOS on my P5N-E Sli, but point of this whole post is, back down on your OC...............

Back