• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad processor statistics?

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 8, 2001
Messages
15,783
Anyone have a white paper or some statistics of bad Intel processor right out of the box?

What about certain motherboards? I would be interested to know if it is something like 1% or more around .001%.
 
i would say cpus would be closer to 0.001%. i would say motherboards are 1%, or higher. but this is only personal experience with around 250 new cpus (none bad) and 80 to 100 motherboards (prob 3 or 4 asus and 1 dfi doa). but i havent had any doa motherboards in the past 3 years, qa getting better, maybe.
 
i would say cpus would be closer to 0.001%. i would say motherboards are 1%, or higher. but this is only personal experience with around 250 new cpus (none bad) and 80 to 100 motherboards (prob 3 or 4 asus and 1 dfi doa). but i havent had any doa motherboards in the past 3 years, qa getting better, maybe.

Any "proof" to this, like at cnet or a reputable site that did a white paper on statistics of a bad processor or statistics of a bad motherboard?
 
Never had a DOA CPU in the last 16 years. I've had my fair share of DOA mobos though.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
CPUs are usually extensively tested (binned) so it is quite logical that there would be a low DOA rate.
 
I have never seen a DOA cpu in the 200+ new chips I have purchased. Hard drives on the other hand have a 3 to 10% DOA rate at least for me at newegg and again I am talking about 100s purchased.

Out of a few hundred, I have had my hands on 2 bad cpus though. 1 was purchased on eBay as part of as is system combo deal for around $135 and I was not expecting to use the CPUs from that anyways. The second was an Athlon 1 Thunderbird (ran hot) where the fan died on the heatsink and it fried the chip.
 
I've never personally had a DOA CPU, but I have seen some P4 CPUs that were DOA from Dell.

Since other people mentioned motherboards I will put in my two cents abotu that as well.

The percentage of DOA motherboards has gone down a massive amount in the past 3-4 years.. and compared to 8-9 years ago, the rate is phenomenal.

The worst example I can think of is when I worked at a computer store back in 2000-2001.

Super Micro server motherboards had about a 90% DOA rate, Tyan had about a 20-30% DOA rate, Asus and Abit about 10-15%, and Biostar which had recently just come on the market - we were buying directly from Biostar- had nearly a perfect score for DOA.

We sold more Biostar motherboards than all the other brands combined at that time and had almost none come back.
 
SuperMicro with a 90% DOA rate? How would they still be around? They are a great name now in the server market.
 
Back
Top