Bad places to buy a motherboard

jazzwall

n00b
Instead of having people suffer in the future, let's list the places where you should NOT get your motherboard (or other critical components like CPU, HD, Memory). I'll start:

Place: MonarchComputer.com

Reason not to shop: They often send you open items and in case of motherboards that's very risky for you as a consumer. If you RMA an open/damaged item back (shipping cost is yours), chances are the replacement will be an open item as well regardless of how many times you request otherwise.

They build custome systems too... I think that's why you see a lot of open items in your shipment... components are usually pulled and sold as new.

I know a handful of people, including myself who've had an experience like that (see this thread ). Stay away if you can.

- Jazz

Is this type of slander really necessary? Personally that is where I purchased my first motherboard and have had a wonderful experience with them. Not only did I get a great price, but it was tested twice, bundled with some great software, and shipped promptly.

Don't take it just from me, but other satisfied customers as well:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2079.html

You do know they have a 9.36 out of 10 rating currently don't you? As well as a 9.28 lifetime rating...not too shabby.

Z(+)DIAC said:
Is this type of slander really necessary? Personally that is where I purchased my first motherboard and have had a wonderful experience with them. Not only did I get a great price, but it was tested twice, bundled with some great software, and shipped promptly.

Don't take it just from me, but other satisfied customers as well:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2079.html

You do know they have a 9.36 out of 10 rating currently don't you? As well as a 9.28 lifetime rating...not too shabby.

Well, I wrote my experiences. I'm not trying to mislead anybody. And I know they got "9.36 out of 10 and Dell got less than 5" ... that's embedded in my brain because they kept repeating it while putting me on hold for hour or more each time I tried contacting them. Maybe they used to be good... but I now know three people who had problems with open packages showing up at their doors.

Those excellent ratings didn't really help when I had to delay building my system by two weeks.

I would still suggest not getting MB's from them.

-Jazz

its not slander. slander would be falsely spoken words purposely trying to damage anothers reputation. i think you meant libel however its not libel either as the op was merely conveying his own personal experience.

One person's experiences do not equate to the company as a whole in relation to their performance.

I agree with the resellerratings.com comment. That's pretty hard to get around.

rhexis said:
its not slander. slander would be falsely spoken words purposely trying to damage anothers reputation. i think you meant libel however its not libel either as the op was merely conveying his own personal experience.

Yep, its libel and not slander. The only case of where he could be guilty of libel is if he could not back the source of "tend to send you open items". If it happened to him more than once, he would win in court. If it happened to him once and then he "heared" it from someone else it could be considered as libel.

-tReP

Wolf-R1 said:
One person's experiences do not equate to the company as a whole in relation to their performance.

I agree with the resellerratings.com comment. That's pretty hard to get around.

Exactly, I've had problems with other companies before, but I don't make posts about how not to purchase from them. I choose not to, but I leave the choice up to others. Why would you say "bad places" when you are clearly naming only one. Did you ever call and demand to speak with a manager or an executive employee?

if you're in the states, just buy from newegg or zzf. Priceshopping every part out to whoever has the lowest price just doesn't make any sense once you factor in shipping for multiple orders.

I used to do that, but the differences for most hardware are so microscopic, it just isn't worth my time.

As for Monarch, well, you can find a horror story for ANY vendor out there.

even if you purchase from newegg or zipzoom you still wont get a factory sealed motherboard. i have never received a motherboard in a shrink-wrapped box. as far as i know the boxes are all open. now if you find that the board has screw marks and the cable bags are open and stuff like that then yeah send it back as it probably has been used.

rhexis said:
even if you purchase from newegg or zipzoom you still wont get a factory sealed motherboard. i have never received a motherboard in a shrink-wrapped box. as far as i know the boxes are all open. now if you find that the board has screw marks and the cable bags are open and stuff like that then yeah send it back as it probably has been used.
mobos boxes are srinked raped... damm i didnt know that.. and im not joking. ive never had a problem with that b4. nor do i want to have a problem with the the future. damm i had no clue all the mobos ive had have never been raped. none of them. from my asus a7n8x-x to my dfi nf4 sli. crap i feel so stupid

just curious but are you on a crank binge? that sh*t will kill you.

Trepidati0n said:
Yep, its libel and not slander. The only case of where he could be guilty of libel is if he could not back the source of "tend to send you open items". If it happened to him more than once, he would win in court. If it happened to him once and then he "heared" it from someone else it could be considered as libel.

-tReP

First, they sent me an opened motherboard and an open HD. The mobo was open because the manual was roughed up, some packets that contained wires were torn open and there were a lot of components that weren't in packets. And the motherboard didn't work.

So I RMA'd... and after 10 days, they again sent me an open motherboard. This, despite me talking to customer service to ensure that they'd send me new items. So all these are facts.

The only reason I started this thread was to make you aware of this and think twice when you buy a mobo from them... and if strange things happen when you build your computer (try here , here , and here ) then instead of wondering what you did wrong, you might also want to suspect that it's the motherboard.

-Jazz

Still, what's the point of singling them out, saying NEVER BUY FROM THEM. I've seen people with horror stories from Newegg, Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. Does that mean people will stop shopping there because one person may have had one problem with the company.....no. Of course you can state your opinion, but I don't believe the path in which you expressed yourself was the correct one to take.

Did you end up getting a refund? How about calling the maker of the motherboard and explaining your situation?

True, can you explain your complete process after receiving the board in chronilogical order?

I have ordered from Monarch previously. I ordered a Neo4 SLI Platinum and a 3200+ barebones. I had it tested before it was shipped so, yes it was opened. I received everything from Georgia to Texas in 3 days including testing. I did not pay for fancy shipping, just the default.

Everything came in perfect working order, and I have since ordered more things from them. No motherboards though. Never have I had an issue with a product from them. So that is my positive review of monarch.

Back