Bad/pixelated pictures/icon problem? (WinXP) (pics)

1tbs4life

Weaksauce
I just spent a lot of money on a new computer (Dell XPS M1710) and right from the start many of the icons in XP have an ugly, pixelated look and do not show up right. I have absolutely no idea what's causing this or how to fix it. Here are some pictures so you can see exactly what I'm talking about:

As you can see, the Windows icon on the start button and all the icons on the startbar are messed up.
startbarnb0.png

Every icon in the start menu is messed up as well.
startmenubv3.png

Icons in the top left corner of windows look bad.
topleftcornersp9.png

And even every picture shown through IE has this same look!
ievu5.png

No other programs suffer from this problem, only IE.

If anyone knows what I could do to fix this please please tell me. :(

i think something similar happened to my pops computer. right click your desktop ->properties -> settings tab. there you'll see the color quality either 16bit or 32 bit. switch it over to 32 bit and restart. usually that takes care of it. if you arleady tried that then hrmm im not sure.

Mine was already set to 32 bit. I changed the setting to 16 bit temporarily just out of curiosity to see what would happen and it of course made it worse. Thanks anyway though..

Looks to me like something is badly resizing your icons and images, what I don't know :(

IE has the option in the advanced menu which you might want to check, and maybe the others are caused by a setting for large/small icons someplace like the one in the Start menu properties?

Dano.

Are you using a non-widescreen resolution on a widescreen monitor? Set the resolution to the max for the monitor.

try right-clicking the desktop, go to advanced (under color quality), Under the "general" tab make sure the DPI setting is at "normal" (96DPI). You might have to restart

Nirad9er said:
try right-clicking the desktop, go to advanced (under color quality), Under the "general" tab make sure the DPI setting is at "normal" (96DPI). You might have to restart

It worked! It was at 120 DPI before and I changed it to 96 DPI as you said and it fixed everything. Everything is very small now but the clear icons make things look much better (here's a comparison picture I made). Thanks a lot.

Back