• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad motherboard or something else?

MercuryAE

n00b
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
10
At first I posted about my problem in General Hardware, but now I have a little more info, so maybe you guys can help me.I just put together a system with the following specs:

Asus p5q-e
q9550
OCZ Reaper 2x2 8500
XFX GTX 260 XXX
WD 640 gig Hard drive
Samsung s223Q dvd burner
Vista 64 Home Premium
*note: system not overclaocked and temps are cool (20 C cpu and 35 C mobo)

Throughout the installation of Vista, it hung up a couple times, requiring me to reboot and start over. However, I finally got vista installed and thought I was in the clear. Since then the system has begin crashing on me at random times. At first, I was getting a bunch of garbage on the screen accompanied by an unresponsive system (looked like static with colors). Now, its doing that much less and just freezing up the old fashion way.

I was thinking bad video card, but I swapped that with an identical 260 my roomate has and got the same result. I've also tried swapping my ram out with a couple OCZ 1 gigs and updated to the latest BIOS. So far, no luck, so I'm beginning to think I may simply have a bad motherboard, but I'm not sure what else to try. I seem to be able to get it to lock up pretty consistently if I run 3dmark 2006 in the Demo mode. Outside of that, its pretty random. Thanks to anyone that may have input.
 
Some additional info, I had the opportunity to test each of my components individually in my roommate's machine, and everything works fine, including the cpu. However, here is where it gets a little murky. My q9550 appears to funtion normally in his p5n-t. I borrowed his e8400 and dropped it into my p5q-e and it ran flawlessly. I ran through several 3dmark runs and COD4 with it, and was thinking maybe I just had some minor software issue or setting that had resolved itself. So, I removed the e8400 and popped in the quad again. And it promptly started freezing on me again.

So now I don't know what is bad, the q9550 or the p5q-e? They seem to work fine seperately, but together its a disaster.
 
running the latest bios? if your running the bios that came with the board originally.. there was a bios update for certain quad core cpu's "Version 0704".. theres also about 6 other updates that have to do with memory that came out after that one.. hopefully this helps you
 
I'll go back to asus' website to be sure, but yea, I updated the bios as soon as problems started appearing.
 
Success! (at least for now).

After seeing a comment in the official p5Q thread recommending the version 0803 BIOS, I flashed it to that release, it appears to be smooth sailing. If anyone here is having trouble with a Q9550 and P5Q-E, ditch the newer BIOS 1306 and try 0803.

Thanks sirmonkey1985 for your input.
 
Back
Top