Bad mobo or video card?

xjrrrdx

n00b
I just bought an Asus A8N SLI - Deluxe and a brand spanking new ATI X1950 XTX. I popped it all in and ran 3dmark06 and got 4800...either way I was playing some games for about 4 days. Today I was just playing some need for speed most wanted when the system restarted itself. I got back into windows and started the game, this time the screen got all pixelated and restarted after about 2 mins, I think maybe its the game, this time i run 3dmark and screen turns bright grey and restarts. This time the post screen is all pixelated and there are no letters, just symbols everywhere, then goes black. I restart and now the monitor doesnt even turn on, I get no error beeps with the speakers on. I reset the cmos, pulled the battery, moved the card to the other pci-e slot and nada. I pulled the RAM and I get error beeps, so I am not sure where I should post this because I read similar stuff with SLI issues where no error beeps until certain hardware was removed.

if this is video card related could someone move it please, thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it...both pieces of hardware are like 5 days old.

That sounds pretty weird but not unheard of. I'm not an expert by no means but maybe if I had to choose I'd think it would be something with the video card. I'd check the temps on the video card, it shouldn't be overheating but i'm just taking a very wild stab at it.

I would suspect it's a video card issue as I had a similar problem (except my monitor would still turn on).

make sure that the fan on the vid card is still working. make sure that the power connection to the vid card is still connected. that vid card draws a lot of juice. disconnect any un-needed compnents and try it. or if you have access to another, better psu, try that. or if you have a digital multimeter (can pick one up at radio shack for $10-15) test your line voltages. here is a really great article on how to do this
http://overclockers.com/tips1248/

Back