Bad memory or bad motherboard or both??

XdVeLoPeX

Gawd
I have XMS2 6400 DDR2 put them in slots 1 and 3 runs memory test fine put in 2 and 4 hangs @ 21% over and over memory works fine in either slot but cant pass win7 memtest!??

I have XMS2 6400 DDR2 put them in slots 1 and 3 runs memory test fine put in 2 and 4 hangs @ 21% over and over memory works fine in either slot but cant pass win7 memtest!??

what version of mem test are you running ? I just had to download the newest version to test more than 2gigs of memory properly.

I would suggest using memtest86+

if anything, it could be a motherboard issue.

I had a similar issue with a Dell OptiPlex 755 a year ago or so; 2 sticks would run fine if in different channels (ie, not running in dual-channel mode). If both sticks were in the same channel, running in dual-channel, Windows would randomly crash and reboot. Although in that case, a 16+ hr memtest was clean (iirc). Got a new mobo from Dell and all was good.

dam cause i dont knwo what to do i try installing memtest to a bootable cd it start runnin gbut seems soooo confusing theirs a hundred and one options to change which test do i run in memtest?!?!?

it's been a while since I used it, but I thought memtest86+ would automatically start testing RAM? Which would mean you don't need to change any options. Just let it run. Most folks would recommend letting it run so it does 2+ full passes.

Back