Bad Memory on Z170/Skylake build?

Stay away from xmp and use auto or manual.
Feel your RAMs out.
I discovered my new kit won't tighten up OR do 1t.
It's 16gb though :D

In case anyone is wondering, I bought the same RAM as OP and it works perfectly with my gigabyte z170 board using XMP. I didn't even have to update the bios.

I have this same memory in an asrock z170 extreme4+. It will not post if I enable xmp but if I tweak it to 2800 instead of 3000 it works fine. Not sure what the deal is but I have seen a lot of people having problems with this memory.

I changed to that exact motherboard and my 3000MHz ram also wasnt stable above 2800MHz.
Since then they updated the motherboard BIOS to V1.5 and it is now rock stable at 3000MHz.

Update the BIOS.

I have had a lot of issues with my build. Asus Z170-k and corsair ddr4 300mhz. Can POST ok but cannot keep the machine stable enough to intsall an operating system. ASUS have said they think the motherboard is faulty and I am now awaiting a replacement.

Well, I'm having the same issues as I see a lot of other people are having. Have 32gb of Gskill Ripsaw V 2666. Everything works fine at stock settings (2133 mhz). But if I enable XMP the computer won't even boot. Gigabyte just released a new bios that seems to specifically address the amp problem, but it still won't boot if I enable XMP.

If I manually overclock the memory using the VCCIO and System Agent setting mentioned earlier, it will run at 2600mhz just fine. But no more. Definitely seems to be some compatibility issues early on with certain memory modules and XMP.

Add me to the list, I've had nothing but problems with RAM and Skylake on 1 of my builds. I had a Gigabyte Gaming 7 and Kingston ram and had a ton of problems. So I RMA'd both of those.

Now I have a Asus Deluxe board that I think is OK but I just RMAd my processor and Corsair Dominator RAM because I was getting memory errors and failed memtest. Normally I wouldn't RMA the processor but I did bc I can't rule it out as a problem and it was a dog anyway so it gives me an excuse to try another.

Basically enabling XMP caused nothing to work at all and I'd have to reset CMOS. Manually setting timings worked better but I still had memtest failures, crashes and instability even with no CPU clock and upping the VCCIO and System Agent.

This is all with 4 sticks of RAM. Maybe the processor memory controller was bad, I'm not sure. I'll start over again after I get another 6700k. I bought some G.Skill TridentZ RAM that arrived today and I'm excited to try it, hoping that I can at least get everything stable at stock speeds this time. I've still never had a dead stick of G.Skill. I only tried other brands for this build for cosmetic reasons.

None of these issues are heat related, temps are fantastic with a H110i GT. Anyway, if anyone has any special insight as to Skylake RAM please PM me. This has been stressing me out big time.

Add me to the list, I've had nothing but problems with RAM and Skylake on 1 of my builds. I had a Gigabyte Gaming 7 and Kingston ram and had a ton of problems. So I RMA'd both of those.

Now I have a Asus Deluxe board that I think is OK but I just RMAd my processor and Corsair Dominator RAM because I was getting memory errors and failed memtest. Normally I wouldn't RMA the processor but I did bc I can't rule it out as a problem and it was a dog anyway so it gives me an excuse to try another.

Basically enabling XMP caused nothing to work at all and I'd have to reset CMOS. Manually setting timings worked better but I still had memtest failures, crashes and instability even with no CPU clock and upping the VCCIO and System Agent.

This is all with 4 sticks of RAM. Maybe the processor memory controller was bad, I'm not sure. I'll start over again after I get another 6700k. I bought some G.Skill TridentZ RAM that arrived today and I'm excited to try it, hoping that I can at least get everything stable at stock speeds this time. I've still never had a dead stick of G.Skill. I only tried other brands for this build for cosmetic reasons.

None of these issues are heat related, temps are fantastic with a H110i GT. Anyway, if anyone has any special insight as to Skylake RAM please PM me. This has been stressing me out big time.
Man, that sucks. I was pissed that XMP isn't working, yet, and you have much worse problems. I know Gigabyte knows of the issue and is working on fixing it with bios updates, so hoping all will be resolved soon. My 2666 memory is rock solid at 2600 with manual overclocking, so I'm not really to upset. I know they'll get it fixed. New chipset always have problems. I've got the H110i GTX and my 6700k runs in the 25C - 30C range while gaming. Love it.

Other than the XMP issue, I'm loving my new build. Runs everything I can throw at it like butter at 1080P. Can't wait to see what it can do at 1440P once the monitor I want is available.

Man, that sucks. I was pissed that XMP isn't working, yet, and you have much worse problems. I know Gigabyte knows of the issue and is working on fixing it with bios updates, so hoping all will be resolved soon. My 2666 memory is rock solid at 2600 with manual overclocking, so I'm not really to upset. I know they'll get it fixed. New chipset always have problems. I've got the H110i GTX and my 6700k runs in the 25C - 30C range while gaming. Love it.

Other than the XMP issue, I'm loving my new build. Runs everything I can throw at it like butter at 1080P. Can't wait to see what it can do at 1440P once the monitor I want is available.

Yeah, I'd be exstatic at this point if I could get 2666 RAM working at 2600. Corsair Dominator 2666 wouldn't run without errors at 2133 even without XMP.

I built a 6700k build with an Asus Gaming Pro mobo and 4 sticks of G.Skill and I have zero issues with that build (using it as an HTPC). So it's unbelievably insane that the second build has been such a disaster.

The TridentZ RAM I bought earlier this week is rated for 3200 so I know I'll have a lot of headroom with that RAM. If I can get it to 2666 or so with a 100% stable system I'll take it at this point.

I REALLY liked the Gigabyte Gaming 7 mobo. Looking back, it's unlikely it was defective but I didn't know that at the time. I got an Asus Deluxe for $300 so that's not a bad price and it's a sweet mobo too.

Yeah, I'd be exstatic at this point if I could get 2666 RAM working at 2600. Corsair Dominator 2666 wouldn't run without errors at 2133 even without XMP.

Maybe the kit was just DOA. I have seen this several times with DDR3 between work and home purchases.

I'm looking to get a 2x16GB kit and there doesn't seem to be any alternatives to these "LPX" modules out there in my parts of the wood. Guess I'll have to roll the dice :-(

This is the first DDR4 release on consumer side. The Z170 is new platform, there're few CPU still on the market... At this times I'd save all the headaches and money to get stable memory at OC speed that in real use will give you negligible speed boost and throw the money at better GPU, SSD, maybe more RAM.
More ram is always better that faster ram. unused Ram is used like cache for Storage... and nothing is faster that RAM.
Standard Crucial Stuffs don't look sexy, but will be stable, compatible and get the job done, for example.
XMP is a waste of time and you risk long term damage if something is incorrectly set by this automatic process, always set manually the Voltage/speed, it's possible that the companies can set XMP profile over the edge to limit the support call or return.

Last edited:
I have the Gigabyte Gaming 7 with a 6700K and am completely stable with my RAM at any speeds I tried, in fact it's the only aspect of the build that didn't give me any minor issues.

My kit: G.SKILL Ripjaws V (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Model F4-3000C15D-16GVR

Installed Windows first at stock settings then went and enabled XMP and it was still fine (1.35V stock I believe). Tightened up my timings to 14-14-14-34-1T and that's where I'm sitting. Using the newest beta bios.

I have the Gigabyte Gaming 7 with a 6700K and am completely stable with my RAM at any speeds I tried, in fact it's the only aspect of the build that didn't give me any minor issues.

My kit: G.SKILL Ripjaws V (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Model F4-3000C15D-16GVR

Installed Windows first at stock settings then went and enabled XMP and it was still fine (1.35V stock I believe). Tightened up my timings to 14-14-14-34-1T and that's where I'm sitting. Using the newest beta bios.

More evidence that G Skill is the way to go. I have 2 different 32gb DDR4 G Skill sets and both were perfect out of the box. The Kingston and Corsair Dominator sets I ordered both had to be returned.

Gigabyte released a new Bios, version F5, for the Gaming7. I flashed it, and still can't use XMP. Not only that, I can't manually get the memory to 2600 mhz anymore. So I dropped back to version F5P.

I definitely think this is a motherboard bios issue and not bad or low quality memory. Seems the mobo makers are still ironing out bugs. Or trying at least. It is annoying that something that should work, XMP, won't work. But I'm hoping it's something they solve soon.

I just took out my 4 x 8gb sticks. I put two in channel A, and xmp worked perfectly. Removed them, put the other 2 in channel B, XMP worked perfectly. Put them all back in, and XMP won't even boot. So there is some issue running my 32gb with XMP turned on. Hopefully it's something they fix.

It's more than likely the ram, Just RMA it (looks as though you have) I suspect you to have 0 issues afterwards!

It's more than likely the ram, Just RMA it (looks as though you have) I suspect you to have 0 issues afterwards!

No, didn't RMA it. I really don't think it's the ram. Every stick or any combo of them will run XMP just fine. I just can't them to run XMP when all 4 sticks are installed. I can still manually overclock it to 2600 just fine. I really think it's a bios issue, as I've read several posts elsewhere about a bios update fixing this exact issue.

Just an update, Gigabyte released a new bios for the Gaming7. XMP now works perfectly. So it was just compatibility issues on Gigabytes end. So if you are having problems with your Gaming7 and XMP, get the F6f bios.

Hey guys, was there any definitive answer on what is the culprit for the freezes ?

I'm actually have very similar issues. I'm running everything on stock, no changes whatsoever in the bios or any overclocking/xmp. When booting into the desktop, I would get random freezes, like say the mouse/keyboard would suddenly stop responding and the PC would lockup for a few seconds. They weren't hard lockups though, lasted at most a few seconds.

My parts are below:
Core I7 6700k Skylake
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Silverstone SX600-G PSU

The RAM used is:

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2A2133C13R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233832

So far, I've already swapped out the motherboard, updated to the latest BIOS and the same issues persist so I know it's not that. I've got a PSU replacement coming today that I will try out as the SX600-G hasn't gotten great reviews either. If issues remain even after the PSU replacement, I guess we know for sure its the RAM ?

Or could it be CPU as well ?

If it is the RAM, it seems a lot of people are having success with GSkill over the Corsair Vengeance stuff that I got, so is this a better choice ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=F4-3000C15D-16GVR-_-20-231-878-_-Product

Last edited:
I'm not so enthused with my Corsair LPX 4x4GB 3000 either.
My latest motherboard update that improves ram compatibility only lets it run at 2500MHz and even then its not rock stable.
As soon as the shop I bought from has stock of Ripjaws V, I'm changing to that.

Yeah, I had Corsair Dominator and Kingston Ram and had tons of problems. G Skill solved all my problems. I have G Skill Ripjaws V on one rig and G Skill Trident in another rig. Both kits are 32gb and zero problems with either one. It's RMA time OP

Yeah, I had Corsair Dominator and Kingston Ram and had tons of problems. G Skill solved all my problems. I have G Skill Ripjaws V on one rig and G Skill Trident in another rig. Both kits are 32gb and zero problems with either one. It's RMA time OP

Ok great thanks, I guess I will try installing the new PSU first just to rule out nothing nefarious going on there. I guess it probably doesn't hurt anyway, i'm moving from the Silverstone SX600-G of questionable quality to a Seasonic G 650RM which while larger, seems to have gotten much better reviews. Hopefully it fits in my node 304 case well though..

Hello everyone!
I just registered, because I have the same issues.
Motherboard Z170-K with 2x8 GB 3000 mhz RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V), i7 6700K
I saw some topics about this case in various places, but you guys seem the smartest bunch :)
I think that increasing sys agent and io voltage helped a bit, but did not remove the problem.

I don't have that much knowledge about the subject, but I got a response from G.Skill, that basically says that... Memories are not stable on that motherboard with their advertise speeds, that I should go down:

Dear Customer,

As our testing results, your motherboard is supporting up to 2800MHz with 8GBx2/8GBx4, if you would like to use 3000MHz, please chose the 4GBx2/4GBx4 kit.
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=2484&model=2532

Or you can update the latest verison of motherboard BIOS for another try, if you still have same issue, please kindly lower the DRAM frequency down to 2800MHz or return this item.

Sorry for the inconvenient

The PC sometimes post, sometimes there is just a black screen and keyboard/mouse won't lit up.
When it works, it can work straight for 6 hours just fine or it can BSOD after 30 minutes during intensive use. Memtest gave me no problem after 2 hours (got no more time)

G. Skill claims it just is not stable, but maybe some of you have any ideas what would be the best thing to do?

And if I want to go down to 2800 mhz, as they told me to, should I lower the voltage below 1.35 or just leave it like that? ( CL15-15-15-35 1.25 Volt maybe?)

I guess that regular BIOS updates for a while :) Though after the most recent update, I think it worked even worse with XMP loaded.

Loosen the timings up a little and see if you can keep at 3000MHz.

Hey,

I wanted to give an update on 2x8 GB 3000mhz and Z170 motherboards.

Asus gave me this link:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/Z170-K_DRAM_QVL.PDF

So it is just like with G. Skill response ( http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=2484&model=2532 )

Asus just told me to wait half a year before the Qualified Vendor List will be updated...

So basically no support, but I guess this is entirely on me.
I did not like to mess with the timings, as I found 2800 mhz to be enough for anything gaming related, but still I hope it will be updated eventually...

I'm leaving this just so others with similiar problem know and save themself time in search of an answer.

I have a Skylake 6700K system with Corsair 16GB CMD16GX4M4B3300C16 DDR4 memory on an Intel 750 Pcie SSD. Windows 10 installed on it. From day 1 I have been getting random freezes which don't even generate minidump files. I have a top of the range brand new Corsair PSU, so it can't be that. Freezes I normally associate with memory. MemTest86 however reports no errors. Updated my GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 to the latest F6f bios. Hoping that does the trick.

I have a Skylake 6700K system with Corsair 16GB CMD16GX4M4B3300C16 DDR4 memory on an Intel 750 Pcie SSD. Windows 10 installed on it. From day 1 I have been getting random freezes which don't even generate minidump files. I have a top of the range brand new Corsair PSU, so it can't be that. Freezes I normally associate with memory. MemTest86 however reports no errors. Updated my GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 to the latest F6f bios. Hoping that does the trick.

RMA your ram and get G skill

Hi all. Interesting thread all about the Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7. I have that board and am going to use it for my Skylake build myself. Got it from Newegg the week after Thanksgiving, arrived December 8th. Couple of things worth noting on my end. I plan on using Kingston HyperX's new 32GB Savage DDR4-2666 CAS 13 RAM kit for my build. Apparently, Kingston claims full Z170 compatibility and programmed XMP profile on RAM with this kit. Hopefully it won't let me down. Also this: I checked Gigabyte's site for the mobo in question. I discovered that Gigabyte has published (and continues to update) a .pdf file containing qualified memory kits that are certified to work with their mobo. I know my kit isn't on it now but perhaps by February? We'll see. Might want to give the list a look see for choosing memory for this mobo. Thanks and until next time I am out!

I had 32GB Tridents on my old rig. Had no problems with them. Thought I'd try Corsair this time around.

Funny, I thought the same thing. Time to try Corsair again and nothing but pain after that decision

Hi all. Interesting thread all about the Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7. I have that board and am going to use it for my Skylake build myself. Got it from Newegg the week after Thanksgiving, arrived December 8th. Couple of things worth noting on my end. I plan on using Kingston HyperX's new 32GB Savage DDR4-2666 CAS 13 RAM kit for my build. Apparently, Kingston claims full Z170 compatibility and programmed XMP profile on RAM with this kit. Hopefully it won't let me down. Also this: I checked Gigabyte's site for the mobo in question. I discovered that Gigabyte has published (and continues to update) a .pdf file containing qualified memory kits that are certified to work with their mobo. I know my kit isn't on it now but perhaps by February? We'll see. Might want to give the list a look see for choosing memory for this mobo. Thanks and until next time I am out!

The qualified memory list is b.s., I'm not even looking at it going forward. I had a Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 mobo that I eventually RMAd bc I thought it was defective and probably the only problem was the RAM bc that same RAM didn't work with Asus either despite being listed as qualify memory on both. Go with user reviews.

Good afternoon all,

Just signed up for HardForum to be able to post here. I've been monitoring/posting on another forum at the following link, dealing with what may be the same issue:

www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2830772/skylake-build-randomly-freezing-crashing/page-4.html

I won't repost my issues and troubleshooting steps here unless someone would like me to (I use the same username on that other forum), but I wanted to call your attention to it and suggest chiming in there. I could also use some help with figuring out timings/voltages to try to at least somewhat mitigate this freezing issue, as some have seen at least a reduction in freezes after messing with those. Please let me know if you'd like to repost my question regarding those changes here, or if I should just stick with the other thread for that.

Hello guys,
I have similar issue.
ASUS z170 Pro Gaming + i7 6700k (at 4700 with adaptive -0.01 voltage) + Kingston 4x8GB 2666 Cl15 (1.2 Volt)
system works more or less stable with very rare video errors (I use internal Intel HD530 video and 2 displays).
sample of error
[img=http://s13.postimg.org/y4106dak3/IMG_0009.jpg]
I think it related to memory.
Kingston could be overclocked up to 3000 CL15.
BUT! the system with 4 RAM modules can pass memtest86 only with memory speed 2500 or below. But system with 1,2,3 RAM modules passes memtest86 at 2666 speed.
I built this PC in December2015, and last week I found that system become slowly in tests (especially in RAM tests - for example latency in December was 55 ns, but now 66 ns - measured in AIDA).
I have several Ghost images, I recovered several images of system disk (even first image only with installed win7) but test shows slowly result.
I changed everything settings in BIOS - but unfortunately I can't achieve good test's results as they were before.
I tried 3 different versions of Bios.
It looks like something was corrupted in CPU or MB. (I tried 2 new similar kingston modules - and results the same - slowly).
Unfortunately in my country I am not able to start RMA fro CPU, MB - because they works (may be slowly but works).
please look at the pictures (current results - marked in yellow)
[img=http://s30.postimg.org/xhgr0v37h/2016_02_15_15_51_30.jpg]
[img=http://s16.postimg.org/4lg0wuuip/2016_02_21_3_04_26.jpg]

I was tried to Buy GSKILL trident Z 4x8GB 3200 CL16, but Phil from Gskill support told me that Asus Pro gaming with 4x8Gb stable up to 2800.
it is very very strange things I've ever faced with RAM or related to RAM. I have experiense in building PC from 1994 and have never seen problem like that with branded expensive parts.

next time I will try to borrow separate video
any suggestions?

Try higher voltage.
My 3000MHz are specced to 1.35V, they run at 1.38V with SPD on and Auto everything, they are not stable.
To get near rated speed stable I have to use 1.4V.
I cannot get them rock stable at 3000MHz but good enough for gaming.

Back