Bad Memory? OCZ?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
14,522
I just got 2 gig of OCZ PC3200 C2 2 3 2 5 for X-mas and poped it into my ancient 8rda+

Windows will not boot up unless I select CAS Latency 3, and then I get constant crashes.

I was able to boot from a single stick, but only by lowering the timings to 2 3 3 6 (the settings my previous memory worked at) corsair XMS V1.1...

I went to manufactures website and it says this board can take 2 the 2 one gig chips.

Does this mean the memory is defective or are the older N-Force boards not stable in dual channel @ 400 FSB?

I had been running stable with only 512 MB for a few years without any problems.
 
do a couple checks first:

1. have you messed with memory voltage?
2. is there any dust in the slots?
3. do they work in another board?

i know the nf2 to be quite picky about 1gb sticks.. try messing with the stick order and what slots you're using
 
I have Prime 95 and every time i run it the screen goes black and I have to reboot.

Voltage is set for 2.63V and I'm not trying to overclock the memory yet.

I tried a single stick and still issues, I am testing the other stick now...

I can't really tell if there is dust in the slot as it is nearly impossible to access my 3rd slot without removing the MB, Heatsink and Hard drives (3 of them) compleatly, also all 3 CD ROms would need to be removed Areocool and Fanbus.,

And to make matters worse fitting it all back in there is even harder.

I highly doubt that is the problem though as the inside of the comp was not all that dusty and the first stick gave me the same problems in the origional slot, as well as the 3rd slot.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210#DetailSpecs

OCZ
Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

I swear every time I buy anything for my computer I get a defective part, no1 makes anything good anymore.

In fact thats partialy why I have not upgraded in a long time...After having to RMA my Ge-Force4 FOUR times before getting a working card (which by that point there were better cards for the $400 I spent) I just got sick of replacing parts.

I probably jsut got a crappy stick of memory, and the UPC code has already been removed from the box as it was an X-mas present....
 
Justintoxicated said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210#DetailSpecs

OCZ
Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

I swear every time I buy anything for my computer I get a defective part, no1 makes anything good anymore.

In fact thats partialy why I have not upgraded in a long time...After having to RMA my Ge-Force4 FOUR times before getting a working card (which by that point there were better cards for the $400 I spent) I just got sick of replacing parts.

I probably jsut got a crappy stick of memory, and the UPC code has already been removed from the box as it was an X-mas present....


infineon chips hmmm, try 2.7v

D
 
Yes but that does not really work. I have to reset the CMOS every time I unplug the computer from power anyways or it will not boot up (Many Nforce 2 boards have this problem)

You see the old Nforce 2 boards like mine were only designed to run at 333 MHZ so 400 FSB is a significant Overclock. It has NEVER detected the proper memory timings, I have to set them manualy (which seems to be pretty typical anyways)....However I have no problems running 400 FSB with my 512MB stick of Corsair, it has been very stable, It passed a 3 day prime 95 run! 72 hours or so anyways...

I tried 2-3-2-5 and It would not boot into windows so now I'm trying 2-2-3-5 (perhaps my timings are in a different order in the BIOS) it has been running prime for an hour now.

The other stick would not run prime even with lower timings for very long, I might have to pop it back in if this stick goes for a few more hours, and try the same 2-2-3-5 timings.
 
Justintoxicated said:
Yes but that does not really work. I have to reset the CMOS every time I unplug the computer from power anyways or it will not boot up (Many Nforce 2 boards have this problem)

You see the old Nforce 2 boards like mine were only designed to run at 333 MHZ so 400 FSB is a significant Overclock. It has NEVER detected the proper memory timings, I have to set them manualy (which seems to be pretty typical anyways)....However I have no problems running 400 FSB with my 512MB stick of Corsair, it has been very stable, It passed a 3 day prime 95 run! 72 hours or so anyways...

I tried 2-3-2-5 and It would not boot into windows so now I'm trying 2-2-3-5 (perhaps my timings are in a different order in the BIOS) it has been running prime for an hour now.

The other stick would not run prime even with lower timings for very long, I might have to pop it back in if this stick goes for a few more hours, and try the same 2-2-3-5 timings.


try more vdimm (2.7-2.8v wont damage it and wont void your warranty either), if that doesnt help contact ocz, they are always willing to work with their customers

D
 
You could try posting in the OCZ support forums on Bleedinedge - if the mem does end up to be duds, then it may be a bit quicker for you to start the RMA process right there...
 
ZL1 said:
try more vdimm (2.7-2.8v wont damage it and wont void your warranty either), if that doesnt help contact ocz, they are always willing to work with their customers

D


up vcore ...always a problem.................;/
 
I got the exact same sticks and also have an NForce2 board. I checked bleeding edge at length until I found a post from the tech team talking about how Nforce2 boards didnt like these sticks. It isnt a big deal for me as I was just testing to see if they worked for my new build. He said there is something in the sticks that doesnt get along with the NF2 boards and that this chipset doesnt like 1 gig sticks anyway as previously stated. If you are not planning on getting an AMD64 board anytime soon I would honestly return it and get two 512 sticks of some descent ram. I just took mine out and put them back into there packing until I get my new mobo. Here is an article on there site for it. Notice the second post where he states the ICs dont play nice with NF2. It is the same problem you are having.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16555&highlight=nf2


Here is another link to a post that shows what timings you can try to run it at.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14637&highlight=nf2+gig
 
Thanks for the ideas, It seems perfect stable at the stock voltage with 2-2-3-5 Timings (on my motherboard they might be in a different order.

2 512 MB sticks won't replace 2 1 gig sticks :p


So it appears one of the sticks is fine now, been running prime 95 for 5 hours now...No errors the other stick stopped working right away, I guess I will need to try the timings reveresed for the second chip also.

I do plan on getting a new MB for a 64 in the near future, I just have to find a case that will easily accept 2 120mm size radiators and do it cleanly. I promised myself I would do liquid cooling the next time around.

I'm going to puill the known good stick of ram out and see if the other will run with the same timings, I feel one of the sticks is bad.

If the Nforce2 chipset won't take 2 1 gig sticks, I guess I'll just leave one in and jsut throw my 512 MB Corsair C2 and other 1 gig stick of OCZ in a drawer for a couple months while I build the new machine...

I don't think I ca return the memory, I got it for X-mas and teh UPC code was cut from the box, not sure if newegg willt ake it back that way.
 
Back
Top