• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad Luck With Power Supplies?

mikey_rules

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
173
Hi there. So, you tell me: coincidence or is something causing the problem?

I purchased an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo because I thought it was time for a little upgrade. It was the only part on my computer that I replaced. After about a day's use, my 300W Sunny Tech. power supply crapped out on me. Smoke and everything and I tell ya, the smell wasn't the most pleasant either. So, I ordered a new power supply and this time it was 400W Tsunami power supply. While I was waiting for my new power supply, I found an older one laying around - 150W Sunny Tech. 150W!!! But, it did do the trick while I was waiting for the new PS. Eventually, the 400W arrived and not even 24hrs of use later, the 400W power supply died. Grr!

So, is it coincidence that both my power supplies died, or could it be that my mobo is causing all the problems? Do I just need to quit buying low-brand power supplies and buy a decent one?

Thanks.
 
Spend a little cash, and get a quality name brand PSU. If it craps out on you, I would say you have other hardware problems.

It has been said time and time again, power is the most overlooked piece of hardware when building. If you were to spend $70 - 120 on a PSU it'll last you much longer then buying several crappy low-end paperweights.
 
Also, since you're planning on getting a new PSU, you might want to consider a ATX12 2.0 PSU it's more future proof. Something modular, I just ordered an Antec Neopower, i've very pleased with it.
 
I doubt that it is your motherboard. But I could be mistaken.

You can never go wrong when buying a good quality solid built PS. Enermax, Antec, PC&P, ThermalTake all build pretty good power supplies that will last. I've only bought one cheap power supply in my life, and will never do it again, as the damn thing is hotter running than my AthlonXP 2200+ TBred. Has somewhat stable rails, but the thing is low on the +12v side. Think its running at like 11.64v or something like that.

Planning on replacing it soon once I pick up a 550W or larger PS for my main rig, and I'll put my 431W into my 2200+ machine.

Beware the cheap power supplies.
 
Back
Top