Bad house wiring --> High-pitched whine

the_b_man

Limp Gawd
So I just moved into a new place, and my APC UPS lit up "building wiring fault" when I plugged it in. Stupidly, I ignored it and plugged my PC straight into the wall to see if the outlet actually worked. It emitted a high pitched "whine" almost immediately, prompting me to unplug it again quickly, but it was too late.

Now the PC whines loudly when plugged in (and PSU toggle ON), even to a good outlet.

I've since bought a "GB Circuit Tester", a three-light outlet tester, which says the outlet was hot/neutral reversed.

I'm assuming my PSU is now on it's last legs because of this. Question: Can I still use it until I replace it, or is there a danger of it taking my motherboard/HDD's with it? What specifically does having 120V hot/neutral reversed do to a PSU?

I would have that outlet/circuit inspected immediately. Wiring faults and contaminated grounds are not good. As for the PSU I would also replace it.

I would have that outlet/circuit inspected immediately. Wiring faults and contaminated grounds are not good. As for the PSU I would also replace it.

And I know the_b_man wouldn't like a (possibly) burned down house either. Chances are, if that plug/wiring is bad, the rest is too. :(

Back