Bad GPU?

Kaash

Limp Gawd
My current GPU is a Asus Rog Matrix 5870. bought it about 2yrs ago. I just started getting into racing games and was playing iRacing , Shift 2 and got my 3rd monitor to do eyefinity w00t. Well after plugging 3 monitors in i got insane screen tearing on the bottom part of my monitor that was plug in via DVI. to put in reference my right screen is HDMI, middle DP, and right DVI. Screen tearing did not happen while in game. So was playing my iRacing when my screen started artifacting, than black screen w/ audio still coming through of me hitting a wall, than PC froze. I restart and it would not post. I reset everything to default finally posted and started playing again. Again screen artifacts and froze. I undid the eyefinity and kept my DP monitor plug in. All is fine for a few hours. Played Skyrim knock out a few quest. went to sleep. Today with just my single monitor was playing iRacing and got the artifacts , screen went black, audio came through, game froze. Restart PC and had artifacts on my POST screen. PC froze, restart and than PC would not start. I had to click the safe mode on the back panel of the GPU before i could log into windows again.

So i'm guessing it is my GPU? If it is, Asus has 3year warranty per my cards page on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121382

How is Asus RMA process? what should i expect? thanks for reading my long winded poor grammar story.

v/r
Kaash

Luckily for you, the artifacts appear on the POST screen, so I am assuming those smart people at Asus will probably conclude that the video card is defective, probably.....

If the card somehow does not artifact right away or the problem is hard to reproduce, good luck as Asus RMA service is horrible.

well its not the GPU. I replaced the 5870 with an old 4870 i had in the closet. Still artifacting / freezing the PC. I than replaced the power supply and still doing it. Its either the CPU or motherboard which more pita since i dont have spare of those laying around nor cash.

MoBo: EVGA Classified E760
CPU: i7 920

Back