• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad flash killed my PC

TheResidentEvil

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
1,943
I updated my BIOS because I wanted to get better memory capability. I have DDR1600 and can only run it at 1066 so I updated. I used the windows update program provided by MSI. My motherboard is a p43-c51. It mustve been a bad flash because now I cant get into the cmos at all.

The closest I have got by taking the battery out is the press f1 to run setup and f2 to load defaults. F1 tries to load setup but it locks up. F2 locks up also. After the reboot it wont have display or will lock up around the time it loads the CMOS im guessing.

Do I have to RMA? My mobo has M flash which supposedly lets you load BIOS from usb drive but I a site i read yesterday said I have to get to the BIOS to do that (dumb).
 
if i press ctrl+home, i get bios recovery requested. then...checking usb flash drive, file not found. please load latest BIOS onto USB flash. cant figure out the file it needs.I downloaded the .570 and exe but no go.
 
Are you sure the BIOS file is named correctly? Sometimes it needs a specific name, regardless of what the file is named on their website.

Check your motherboard manual. There should be some mention of a SPECIFIC BIOS file name in there.

Also, make sure your USB device is formatted in FAT/FAT32. I don't know any BIOS recovery program that will read NTFS.
 
I can't speak for your mobo, but mine stores two BIOS ROMs. One is the main and the other a backup. I can switch between them if I need to by swapping a jumper pin on the mobo itself. Maybe yours has a feature like this also?
 
Back
Top