Bad Economy Means Lame Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
The bad economy means lame games? While the rational part of your brain says this is true, the gamer part of your brain weeps in denial.

When the economy is fraught with uncertainty like it is right now, developers are forced to take fewer risks and release sequels that not only cut down on development costs, but usually turn a nice profit, since gamers are more willing to spend their money on game play and characters they already know and love.

I'm still waiting on the next Splinter Cell game to be released, that's been in the works for about 2 years now so it should hopefully be immune to the current financial situation....Fear 2 has the potential to suck though (can't configure extra mouse buttons or lean around corners, not a good start, and what is with the mech suit, besides some carnage?).

I agree, most games that are coming out are not that exciting. I guess SF4 it the only game I am anticipating.

I'm still waiting on the next Splinter Cell game to be released, that's been in the works for about 2 years now so it should hopefully be immune to the current financial situation....Fear 2 has the potential to suck though (can't configure extra mouse buttons or lean around corners, not a good start, and what is with the mech suit, besides some carnage?).

I just played the Fear 2 demo yesterday and I am pretty sure that you can lean around corners.

I guess that's why there hasn't been anything that good lately, i think; we could all agree that there has been nothing earthshattering, like Doom1 or Super Metroid. I'd say the 1st Devil May Cry was the last new-for-it's-time franchise that I had any interest in. That was way back in the day. Most current games I've bought in the past 7 years or so are from long-time franchises. Including DMC2-4, of course.

Of course, in 2001 the economy was awful, but it wasn't awful enough to affect the quality of games back then.

the economy was bad in 2001?

eh??

anywho... you can always base the amount of good games out by hitting up your favorite torrent site...

The current top listers have been there for ages... Nothing new... Nothing exciting.

Mirrors edge was unique... more of a "jump around like a monkey and grab stuff to climb over obstacles" than an FPS, but very short

honestly i believe despite how bad this economy is, it alone is going to flush out most of the CRAP we americans have been subject to. when customers get tight then the manufacturers must make better product to sell. they already were producing games as cheap as they could... now they must use creativity to sell whatever games they do make.

the economy was bad in 2001?

eh??

it was awful for a nation as a whole. it was the needle in the balloon that was our economy. the terrorists did exactly what they wanted to do. the won. people like me (in the housing market) were still ok, but 2001 was really the first blow before what is now a nuclear explosion- especially for people like me in the housing market. once the balloon rapidly started to deflate in 2005 it was over in just a couple years. once you cant afford a home you really cant afford anything, and that's why you CANNOT finance mortgages that have a bad percentage of failing. that's why i don't really blame the people. if someone offers free money to you, you take it. thats what the banks did by not even asking for sources of income. they all did it. and we had to pay them for those fuckups- even the people who still have good outstanding mortgages. even people who never had a mortgage. everyone paid THEM. it is disturbing on the deepest levels of history.

bigger budget doesn't a better game anyways. having 50 animators on staff doesn't make a game with 5 any better. or programmers or whatever. it needs to be fun, bug-free (or few bugs) and have some decent content.

some of the best games of all time had smll teams and budgets. Madden2040 or GTA27 or COD34...so what?

I've read that we've been in a bear market since the internet bubble popped. The 3yrs in between was just a minor up tick. Who knows...
I haven't had a game that's kept me playing for a whole day since 2000 (not counting mmo's). Man I remember making SC maps 2v1 where me and my friend would go against the pc that has a spawn switch. We'd send a unit to a switch and swarms of zerg come at your defense nonstop. Fun to see how long that defense lasted.

the fun factor is zapped from too many games. especially racing games. theyre so dumb: they try to make good damage modeling and racetracks but then you fly into an invisible scotch-tape wall barrier at 200mph and you still have a hood.

make it fun. hit a bump at 100+ miles an hour and fly OVER the wall. into the stands. or into a corn feild. have it able to keep going and hit some woods, maybe a creek that leads to a mini-race track off in distance. or when you do hit the wall, make it funny. have the car smush up like a popcan. make it hard to tell its even a car. carmageddon 2 and viper racing got it... those were incredible fun without even actually following the game rules.

Well judging by the quality of games in recent years, one might think the economy has been close to a meltdown since about 1994...

Spore got my lame game thumbs up of approval, maybe it was due to the recession that they lamified it :D

Seriously, the older I get, the more I enjoy those free online flash games, don't have time to play epic game, don't have the desire to waste money (although ironically I make way more now) on a piece of shit game, and am much easier to please (just ask my wife :D)

oh... and I don't need a super rig to play the online games! I still haven't played GTA4 even though I think I might like that (think...)

I kinda figured the opposite was true. With the trimming of work forces, it seems to me that you'd cut staff from non-essential or projects that don't have much potential. But this makes sense too. Unfortunately.

Considering they just announced BF1943 with 3 maps and 24-player mutli, I weep for the future.

maybe this will bring the rise of indie games. Think about it, lots of talent sitting on unemployment because the market sucks...again...hence why I i'm back in IT instead of looking for another job at a game company.

on the upside i have a backlog of various rpg's to keep me busy between crap releases. some decent rpgs hitting xbox end of this month through late spring. not much on the pc side though

I just found it funny that the article has a picture of the Wii on it... I *really* didn't think that games for the Wii could get any lamer. ;)

I just found it funny that the article has a picture of the Wii on it... I *really* didn't think that games for the Wii could get any lamer. ;)

don't dare them...i'm sure they can find something

Most games are lame with or without a bad economy. :(

Far Cry: lame
Crysis: lame
GTA (pick a number): lame

I'm so bored with the latest games (minus Bioshock 3) that I'm playing re-skinned older games like System Shock 2.

I want my SC2!!! :cool:

It makes sense if they make quality squeals, but when the come up with something like the Soldier of Fortune squeal(forgot what its called), where its a squeal and low development cost game, thats not going to turn in any profit.

The word is sequals.

Tires can squeal. Small rodents can squeal. Women can squeal.

By no means can you play a squeal on your computer. You play sequals, which is an addition onto a pre-existing storyline.

*ahem*

Sorry. :p

Most games are lame with or without a bad economy. :(

exactly what i was thinking. This gives a chance for the indie developer out there to put out a grade A game. I would hope the bad economy would down grade corporations and bring along better products, including a better playing field for indie devs.

Aquaria is a great game, beautiful colors and music used in the game, but the graphics aren't "realistic."

Like a lot of others have said before, i play video games for fun, not for the realism. You know what games don't require input and are real? sports. I hated sports as a kid, but watching how football teams play, as an adult, and how they figure out each other is very interesting to watch. Poor Cardinals, they figured out Pittsburgh, but the quarterback had butterfingers. :(

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1033699005 said:
The word is sequals.

Tires can squeal. Small rodents can squeal. Women can squeal.

By no means can you play a squeal on your computer. You play sequals, which is an addition onto a pre-existing storyline.

*ahem*

Sorry. :p

grammar-nazi.jpg

the fun factor is zapped from too many games. especially racing games. theyre so dumb: they try to make good damage modeling and racetracks but then you fly into an invisible scotch-tape wall barrier at 200mph and you still have a hood.

make it fun. hit a bump at 100+ miles an hour and fly OVER the wall. into the stands. or into a corn feild. have it able to keep going and hit some woods, maybe a creek that leads to a mini-race track off in distance. or when you do hit the wall, make it funny. have the car smush up like a popcan. make it hard to tell its even a car. carmageddon 2 and viper racing got it... those were incredible fun without even actually following the game rules.

I have to agree with you on that one. I played Viper Racing religiously for months on end, even with the glitchy sound problems, and I loved racing around and trying to jump as far into the sky as I could, the watch my car come tumbling down and smash into an unrecognizable hunk of metal.

Those were the days. I think the one game that I still occasioally play is Counterstrike 1.6. I have been plaing since the early beta days, when we had one map, mansion, and extremely boxy models. I miss the WON days of 1.3, 1.5 and now that steam is somewhat usable program, 1.6 is still up there playerwise, though source is prettier. I enjoy hopping into a map of newbie kids playing on their older brother/sisters old account and owning them in a 2v8 match. I digress.

Give me a game that I can literally destroy the vehicle I am in. Unfortunatly, you tell me to wear a seatbelt in need for Speed series, however, if i hit something ing the game, nothing really happens other than my car(complete I might add with scratches) flying through the air. In the real world, If I were to bounce of a car head on, even with a seatbelt on my chances of survival are minimal, and even the slim chance I survive, I will be messed up for life.

Back