Bad DIMM slots, help please

Ahriman

Limp Gawd
I have an Abit IC7-MAX3 mobo and one day I was going into my device manager and I noticed that My Computer said I was only running 768mb of ram, instead of the 1gb that I had in the computer at the time. I then investigate the innards of my computer to find that the 3rd DIMM slot doesn't recognize the stick of memory in it. to solve the problem, I just took out the stick of ram and went on my way with 256mb less of ram. Last week my computer started freezing and required a hardboot to restore normal operation. This happened mainly while playing World of Warcraft and would happen at eratic times. I then took the stick of ram out of the 4th DIMM slot and my computer hasn't restarted since. Now, I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to repair, or attempt to repair these slots, like update bios or something. I've already updated the chipset drivers. Please, need help.

RAM -- Corsair Value Select 4 (well, 2 now) x 256MB
Mobo -- Abit IC7-MAX3
Processor -- Intel Pentium 4 2.4c
Video -- ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
HDD -- WD 120gb IDE

Well, first of all you've got to make sure it isn't the RAM itself that is dead. You should put thos sticks in slots 1 and 2 and run a testing program such as Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. If it turns out that is is the slots, make sure they're clean and the RAM is seated in the slot all the way.

Back