bad Corsair Force GT ?

tunatime

Well...OK
ok so i have a 120gb force gt as my boot drive and for the past 2-3 months my pc locks up no bsod just hard locks up and i have to restart the box. i have run ever test i can think of and the cpu and ram checks out, went though 12 hours of occt 12 hours of prime and nothing failed. i tried reinstalling windows 7 and it still does it.i tried running my 3930k at stock and at my oc and it still does it. i thought it might be my 2 6950s as it happens in games a lot but it happens on the desktop, watching movies web browsing, and even opening a folder can cause it. and its wired it will go for a week or more whit out doing it then bam it lock up 5 times in a day. i checked the driver whit all the hdd testers i can think of and it shows fine.

i am going to install windows on one of my hdds and see if it fixes it but are they are good ssd disk checkers? and does this sound like the ssd could be bad?

yes i have to the newest i think 5. some thing? the rig worked fine for 8 months or so and then stated doing this and i read some thing about locks on this drive and a fw update but it didn't fix it

Bump
How do you test and ssd? So far im 24 hours no lock up running off my 2tb drive

I had this problem with several ForceGT's and updating the firmware did nothing. I ended up RMA'ing them several times before I finally switched to Samsung 830 drives.

Is there a way to test it to confirm its bad before i rma so i can show Corsair its bad so they dont just send me back the same drive saying its good? And hows thiere rma is it like pulling teeth or is not to bad?

I don't think there's any way to do such a test. If it were a drive problem and it could be reproduced from a disk test, then they'd be able to easily identify the problem and fix it.

If when you reboot the system the drive can't be detected in the BIOS and won't come back after doing a full power-down, then it's definitely disk related. Either the drive itself or something with the SATA or chipset drivers, or even a BIOS firmware problem.

Hey.

If you want to test, you could boot from a LiveCD and stress the disk for a few days.

Actually, a live USB would probably be better. Since your CD reader might share the sata controler the ssd is on, which might bring the livecd down with it thus keeping you from reading the logs post-mortem. If you use a linux CD, there actually is a "stress" command wich might proove handy

One thought : agressive writing might have an impact on your ssd's lifetime; you might want to have a "mostly read" test case.

I had the same freezes a few times a day on a Force GT 90GiB (on a ASUS P8Z77-V pro mobo) until updating to the latest BIOS. Updated, my computer now runs months between (intentionnal) reboots; never had a crash.

have fun,

Back