Bad cisco problem!

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
Im trying to get into a router....the flash has been erased and so has the nvram.
its just booting into a
rommon 1>
prompt

Is there anyway to get the IOS back onto the router?

Yes. What kind of device is this? If it has a flash slot, you can format a flash card on another router, copy the IOS to it, and load it on this device. If not, you can always use a console connection to push the IOS from a laptop. If you have to go the console route, be aware that Cisco serial ports default to 9600bps. However, you can go into ROMMON and tweak this to 115kbps so long as the device supports it. Make sure to make any speed changes to both sides, or you get nasty errors.

in rommon there is a tftpdnld commonad that im going to use....i just need to get ahold of a Cisco IOS 12.2 or higher...anyone have one?

or possibly have a cisco cco account that they could get the 12.2t ios for me from?

rommon recovery is a relatively easy process. Unfortunately, I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who is going to give you a CCO ID to download software with. Software licenses are very expensive.

If you do get a hold of an image I would suggest running the latest 12.3 mainline release instead of 12.2(T) if your router has enough memory/flash for it. The 12.2(T) release train actually became 12.3 mainline. The same applies to 12.3(T), it is now 12.4 mainline.

Before going to a lot of trouble I would check that the IOS configuration register is set to 0x2102.

You can check by issuing sh version and looking at the configuration register in the output. If it is not 0x2102 then at the ROMMON prompt type confreg 0x2102 and reset the router.

This page describes what I am talking about.

If it is set to 0x2102 and you still booting into ROMMON then you will have to rewrite the flash using an image. Cisco requires that you have SmartNet maintenance on the router to have access to the flash image file, unless as a previous poster stated you have another router that you can copy the flash from.

Back