Bad cable splitter?

PiSquared

Limp Gawd
Hi there,

My internet connection is becoming more and more sporadic. In a nutshell, here's the cable setup:

Cable A: from provider to cable splitter
Cable B: from splitter to TV
Cable C: from splitter to cable modem

The cable modem is connected to the router.

I'm trying to figure out the point of failure. What I do know is that whenever I have another internet connection issue, I can unplug and replug Cable A from the splitter and it works again. However I want to make sure I'm not being a dumbass. Am I missing anything? It seems the cable splitter may be the issue and I would rather not replace many meters of cable.

Thanks for reading this far and for your help.

So the ISP line comes in and you have a 2-way splitter on there, one goes to TV and the other goes to modem? is there any other splits along the way and how long/far is the coax for the modem?

There are 2 splitters before my unit that connect to the outside but no other tenants have an issue (I live in a 3 flat). It's about 15 feet of cable from the splitter to the cable modem.

Landlord is saying it can't be a problem with those. I don't necessarily agree with his logic but must be able to refute it to get him to replace anything. Hence the focus on my apartment things first. And I do hope replacing a $5 splitter is the easiest option but want to see some thoughts before pulling the trigger.

What kind of modem do you have......if you want to see if its a splitter/signal problem, you can log into the modem and check the signal levels..that's the fastest way to determine the quality of the signal ..

Questions:

Does your landlord control the cmts (the device your modem connects into) or is it provided from another company like Comcast?

Why is the cable 15 feet long (is it in the wall or is it running on the floor?).

Here is some quick and dirty cable modem information,

1. Splitters can and do go bad, it isn't that often but does happen. I can also say not all spilters are the same even if new. Some low quality ones doesn't split the single even.

2. Check your ends and make sure the center connector isn't grounding out. The center conductor shouldn't poke out that long at all. Over time heat and cooling can cause the conductor to expand and subtract. Also some cables are just made crappy.

Crosshairs, I logged into the modem and saw a firmware update was available. Since then nothing has happened so I hope that was it.

itomwisp, the answers:
1. If the connection goes bad again I guess I could just get a new one. They aren't that expensive.
2. The ends do seem OK but we did have a heck of a winter in Chicago. However, no other tenants are having issues-not sure if that affects anything.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys...with any luck the update will take care of it.

Back