Bad board or bad ram?

tybert7

2[H]4U
So, I jump in tonight finish putting together my new ryzen build

-ryzen 1700
-msi b350 gaming pro carbon
-2x8 GB corsair ddr4 3200 Vengeance lpx ram
-500 GB m.2 sata

I am using the same rx 480 gpu and power supply in my old system.

I get the core stuff together and installed, but it will not even get to that.

System powers on, but no power goes to my keyboard and mouse, no display output shows up from the gpu to the screen, no beeps from the motherboard occur.

I look on the board and notice there is something called "ez debug" with indicator lights that seem to cycle after the computer is turned on. I turn it off and on and notice it cycles to the cpu first, then turns off (detected), then to DRAM, and there the indicator light stays lit. It does not even begin to cycle to vga or to boot, it is stopped at the dram check.

I wonder if the ram is bad.

There are 4 ram slots (labeled with letters for clarity):

A____B____C____D

for dual channel ram they instruct you to put each ram stick in B and D slots. Since that did not seem to work, I tried other combinations, and when the dual ram did not seem to change anything, I tried a single ram stick at a time in each slot, for each stick.

No change, except one. When I put a ram stick in slot A, not only did the DRAM indicator light up and stay lit, the cpu light stayed lit as well...

There are still other things to test, but I wonder if the board is bad or the ram. I ordered online so there will be a delay in shipping and returning things. I'll call msi tomorrow to see if they have any trouble shooting ideas. I know plenty of people get boards that do not work, and it seems less likely that both ram sticks would be faulty, so I am leaning towards a board issue, or some stupid human error issue.

It's probably the ram. Are the ram on the supported list for that motherboard? Ryzen is picky with what ram you use.

The ram
It's probably the ram. Are the ram on the supported list for that motherboard? Ryzen is picky with what ram you use.

The ram was on the supported list, yes. I called msi and they said to rma the board, incidentally, since I'm in socal I am close enough to drop it off at their Encino office, still need to get the real form first though. I'll take care of that Monday. It might still be the ram but the guy on the phone thinks it might need a bios update to recognize the cpu/ram so it can get to the point where it can output some display.

This would be a lot easier if I knew people in the area with their own ryzen builds. Then if they already had different ram I could just test their ram in my system without having to buy my test components to trouble shoot. That must also be a nice perk of running one these sites or YouTube channels, you have spare components to test on the fly without the downtime.

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like bad neither. It's literally a month later and this system is still down, here is my chain of events.

I replaced the original msi motherboard, same exact issue. No post at all, nothing would come out of the gpu. Motherboard seemed to have power, but no power would be sent to the USB ports on the back of the motherboard, power to case fans and cpu fans and some to power the gpu fans was fine and seemed to be working. I ordered new ram to test, that failed to do anything, went to frys and bought some lower speed ram, did nothing.

I then decided, maybe the msi board I ordered is just broken, so I returned it for a refund to get the asrock taichi x370 board. Got that, installed the core, SAME ISSUE. No post. However, something that was the same got me thinking... The board seems to power up, cpu fans spin, lights on board power on, fan on gpu spins.... but when anything is plugged up to the usb ports on the back of this motherboard there still seems to be ZERO power going to the usb ports... so what if there is no board power going to the gpu other than the 6 pin connector?

What if the issue is the power supply is not giving power to the entire board? 3 separate boards have all exhibited the same power issue not going to any of the usb ports. The power supply is relatively old, I've had it around 4-6 years, an old antec psu of around 650 watts. It was working fine in my old tower, but perhaps being moved jostled something that screwed with the power delivery, or perhaps those extra connectors that go to atx12v1 connector on the MB is not fastened correctly.

Either way, it seems like it might be a power delivery issue, that would explain no output from the gpu at all.... I guess I'll buy a psu to test this out, don't have a spare one lying around.

FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!

bought new power supply, hooked it all up, system still did not post, but tried the returned corsair lpx ram, dual channel, no post, then I put a single stick in the first slot, and it worked !!!!!!!!!!

I do not know if the power supply was an issue, or if I had not had the ram pushed in tightly enough before, or who knows what, but I do not care. It's working now, the darkness is fading, and now I can get back to the important work of updating the bios, downloading mass effect and finishing my over month long hiatus and not finishing anything, overclocking the cpu and getting the ram to run at the rated 3200MHz after a bios update.

Back