bad batch of windows xp pro upgrade?

Soldier101

Gawd
ive tried at least 9 different copies of windows xp pro upgrade (all legit, trying to upgrade customers computer here at bestbuy)......none of the keys from the boxes are working????? has anyone heard of maybe a bad batch of windows? i just cant think it's luck that 9 of these are all bad all in a row...without microsoft messing up somewhere

Soldier101 said:
ive tried at least 9 different copies of windows xp pro upgrade (all legit, trying to upgrade customers computer here at bestbuy)......none of the keys from the boxes are working????? has anyone heard of maybe a bad batch of windows? i just cant think it's luck that 9 of these are all bad all in a row...without microsoft messing up somewhere

What error messages are being displayed?

Ive had the same thing happen to me a couple of times whenever upgrading over MCE. Calling microsoft will solve the problem with the key but ive had a few reps tell me that you cant upgrade over MCE with XP Pro when ive done it tons of times before.

it is a windows xp media center edition pc we're trying. alright, ill give microsoft a hollar

Soldier101 said:
it is a windows xp media center edition pc we're trying. alright, ill give microsoft a hollar

Windows XP Media Center Edition is built from XP Pro, albeit a few business features removed.

Why does the customer want XP Pro on the computer?

Ive always asked myself that same question even after informing them they just dont seem to care, so I just do as im told. Its there 200$ + install fee anyhow.

Andantie said:
Ive always asked myself that same question even after informing them they just dont seem to care, so I just do as im told. Its there 200$ + install fee anyhow.

It very well may be their money, but I'd consider it a huge disservice to perform such an upgrade since it's most likely not a supported upgrade scenario. I'm sure if the customer was informed that MCE was derived from XP pro, they'd see the logic in their paying for something they already own.

If it is a business customer, then someone needs to advise them to make better choices in their PC purchases.

SJConsultant said:
It very well may be their money, but I'd consider it a huge disservice to perform such an upgrade since it's most likely not a supported upgrade scenario. I'm sure if the customer was informed that MCE was derived from XP pro, they'd see the logic in their paying for something they already own.

If it is a business customer, then someone needs to advise them to make better choices in their PC purchases.
And in the real business world, this would be discussed with the customer...but in the Best Buy business world, if you can @#$!! them out of $200, then you go for it!

djnes said:
And in the real business world, this would be discussed with the customer...but in the Best Buy business world, if you can @#$!! them out of $200, then you go for it!

Sigh :( unfortunately there is one opening not more than 10 miles from me and it looks like their "Geek Squad" is hiring. :rolleyes:

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, if I advise someone against something and they want it anyway, they'll get it. I've had multiple people go against what I recommend, and I spend alot of time going back out to help them.

Ultimately they're paying for a service, if they request a poor service, they should get it. :)

I ve had a cusotmer with a media center pc need xp pro because of issues for her computer working on her business's network media center wouldnt work, it had to be pro.

also Soldier101 have you tried posting in the geeksquad forum????

SJConsultant said:
I'm sure if the customer was informed that MCE was derived from XP pro, they'd see the logic in their paying for something they already own.

Just my .02 - I wouldn't bet on this. ;)

Sieravor said:
Hell, as far as I'm concerned, if I advise someone against something and they want it anyway, they'll get it. I've had multiple people go against what I recommend, and I spend alot of time going back out to help them.

Ultimately they're paying for a service, if they request a poor service, they should get it. :)

If given a choice between providing poor service or no service, then a professional should choose no service. It's because of all the dime a dozen tech companies and technicians providing poor service that my company is usually called in to fix the problems or issues.

I tell my clients straight up, if they don't like the choices I provide them, then they can find someone else to do the job. I refuse to provide anything but a proper solution to a problem.

Javelin3o4 said:
I ve had a cusotmer with a media center pc need xp pro because of issues for her computer working on her business's network media center wouldnt work, it had to be pro.

Whoever made the choice about buying media center PCs should be held accountable for not making sure they were going to work in a business environment. Some businesses just don't do their homework. :rolleyes:

tazman4 said:
Just my .02 - I wouldn't bet on this. ;)

See above. If they refuse the options I give them, they can go find someone else to do the job. ;)

Sieravor said:
Hell,

QFT......remember..the customer is ALWAYS right....Smile and take the money...

Crosshairs said:
QFT......remember..the customer is ALWAYS right....Smile and take the money...

Not in my book. Either do the job right or not at all. It's not always about money.

SJConsultant said:
Not in my book. Either do the job right or not at all. It's not always about money.

Or better yet.. do it twice, and charge them both times..:)

Money pays the bills..If they wanna throw it away, Im more than happy to take it....

Crosshairs said:
Or better yet.. do it twice, and charge them both times..:)

Money pays the bills..If they wanna throw it away, Im more than happy to take it....

Not me, it looks bad if you have to do the same job over again. Not to mention my conscience will not allow me to do a job knowing it will not work right.

Well, if what they're asking for simply wont' work, I'll tell them as much. I can't work magic. BUT, if they have a 2 computer network, and choose to buy a $15k commercial gigabit switch, that's there choice. I'd tell them that they don't need it, and a 30 dollar router would work fine. If they still choose to drop the load, whatever. It's their money, and ultimately, IT is a job where you listen to and do what the employer wants. Not always pretty, but hey, IT never is. :)

Guess I am one of the few honest and ethical contractors out there who does care about how a client spends their money when it comes to IT. :rolleyes:

:( I am honest, but I need to eat. In all honesty though, I do understand where you're coming from. I just don't have luxury of making decisions based on personal feelings. If I were to do that, millions of dollars would go down the drain....not to mention, I'd lose my job. heh.

Back