Just put together my new box:

Bad Axe 2
E6600
2GB corsair dominator ram pc2 6400 cas 4
eVga 8800GTX (100.65)
Vista Home Premium
Enermax 1K PSU.

Everything at stock speeds so far.

Installed Vista. New bios for mobo. Drivers. When I install a game (happened on both Quake 4 and Titan Quest), the game installs and I can go right into playing it with no problems. When I close out the game and come back to it later, as the game begins the motherboard starts a loud, high pitched beeping. The beeping stops when I close the game.

I also heard this beeping when Vista analyzed my computer for it's compatibility score (or whatever). When it analyzed anything related to video it would beep.

Not sure if I should have posted this in the Video Cards forum, but since it's the motherboard beeping, maybe this is the right forum.

Does anyone know what this means? :confused:

Maybe it's overheating? Can you run Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT)? It doesn't run in Vista x64, but might in x86.

I don't think it is overheating. Like I said, I can game immediately after installing a new game. I played each for a an hour or so. It is only when I try to start the game up after the initial install/play session that it beeps, and it starts when I get to the in-game menus. It hasn't done anything to get hot yet.

Weird. I run nearly the exact same setup as you, except I'm running XP. Is the beeping coming from the mobo or the audio outputs? And have you switched off warning beeps in BIOS?

I guess it's the video card beeping due to either overheating or because you didn't plug the extra power plug on it. My 6800GT beeped very loudly when I ran it without plugging the molex. It could also happen if the voltage regulators is having power issues so did you plug the 4 plug molex on the board, just behind the ATX panel ?

The 8800GTX is plugged in with the 2 PCIe plugs coming off of the enermax. The motherboard has power plugged in at all 3 (the 24pin, 8 pin and 4pin molex). I will recheck all these connections later tonight.

I am not quite ready to turn off the beeping in the bios, because I am worried there might actually be a problem.

I was wrong in my assumption that it was the motherboard. It turns out that it is the power supply doing the beeping, so I am going to move my question over to the ps forum.

On a motherboard note, the Bad Axe 2 has a speaker built onto the board and no header for a speaker in the case, which is fine because my TJ09 does not have a speaker.

I have never once heard this speaker being used. I do not even get a POST beep.

Does anyone out there with a BA2 get a normal post beep?

I was wrong in my assumption that it was the motherboard. It turns out that it is the power supply doing the beeping, so I am going to move my question over to the ps forum.

On a motherboard note, the Bad Axe 2 has a speaker built onto the board and no header for a speaker in the case, which is fine because my TJ09 does not have a speaker.

I have never once heard this speaker being used. I do not even get a POST beep.

Does anyone out there with a BA2 get a normal post beep?

Nope, I don't get any normal post beep but I heard beeping 3 times due to memory once when I set the memory settings wrong, forcing me to reset the CMOS and restart over.

IF the PSU beeps, I could speculate it was straining due to heavy power requirements or heat.

Back