• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad Airflow?

Kr1z

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,305
I have an Antec 1200 case, with all the optional fans installed, one in the top hdd cage acting as a wind tunnel, and the side door case fan. All the fans are Antec Tri-Cools. I have a Tuniq Tower 120 with a Yate Loon Mid Speed fan, and the second I remove the side door I get around a 10c drop in the CPU temps, while all the other components mostly stay stay within a same 3-1c drop. I tried removing the side door fan, using it as a intake/exhuast, and it really doesn't do a thing. Now the Tuniq Tower 120, is pretty large and almost touchs the grill on the side door. It looks like its blocking any air from being exhuasted through the back. Any recommendations on what I can do? Would moving to smaller cooler, like a TRUE,Xigmatek-S1283, help out to cool it better? CPU is a Q6600 @ 3.15ghz.
 
id say run the back fans at a higher rpm to pull the air out of the case.. sounds like theres to much positive pressure in the case.. also try turning the top fan on higher.. in my antec 300 it has less fans but i run the top fan on high and the back fan on low.. using the antec tri-cools.. with the front fans on high.. and with the top fan on high.. maybe try the back fans on medium exhaust top fan high exhaust and see what that does to the temps..
 
Seems like my GPU upgrade fixed that, 8800GT idled at 60c, somehow GTX 260 idles at 45c and my q6600 is now @ 38-35-35-35, but I did order a S1283 just to do some testing ;] Case feels cool now, and this day is pretty warm which has me suprised, these temperatures are with the doors closed, still have to see what happens the the door opened.
 
280/260's are nice because they dont put any hot air back in the case like the 88GT and the older G80 cards did, this new stock cooler NVIDIA has is pretty kick ass IMO
 
280/260's are nice because they dont put any hot air back in the case like the 88GT and the older G80 cards did, this new stock cooler NVIDIA has is pretty kick ass IMO

Definitely! Don't think I will be getting an aftermarket with these nice temperatures :D
 
I see why you're getting bad airflow. You've got so many friggin fans!

Just run a couple fans in back, and a couple up front. ditch the top and side units and I'm sure you'll see even better temps.

It never haps anything that so many cases on the marker are 90% mesh.having a ton of fans or huge areas of mesh doesn't help airflow, it hurts it. It's like a giant short-circuit for airflow.
 
Back
Top