Bad 7970 Vapor-X, driver or something else?

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X on the Asus Z87-Pro with PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 750W. This is my first AMD card since I think the 9800 Pro. It is in a new build running Windows 8.1 and the card is about 6 months old.

I am wondering if this is possibly a driver issue or a dying card. I keep having what looks like large pixels appear over the screen. This happens just while using Windows and browsers. I either see black checkered squares across a portion of the screen or I will get them just in UI portion of Firefox. Usually when I get them in Firefox it will usually be the color of the background image. I have tried to take screenshots or pull up the clipping tool, but that usually clears them. They will also go away when I mouse over them sometimes.

I have also had a few red screens with hard lockups that required a reboot while playing BF3. I reached out to Sapphire, but they just told me to email the RMA dept. Before I go through the RMA process, I just want to make sure it is actually the card.

Found a video which shows exactly what seems to happen on mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V579D4x9t1c

It sounds almost like there might be an issue with AMD 7000 series and Firefox. This wouldn't explain the lockups and red screens in gaming though.

Last edited:
Back