Bacteria Found on International Space Station May Be Alien in Origin

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bacteria found on the outside of the International Space station could be alien life, according to Anton Shkaplerov, a Russian cosmonaut who has served on board the space lab. Finding bacteria that came from somewhere other than Earth would be one of the biggest breakthroughs in the history of science – but much more must be done before such a claim is made.

“Bacteria that had not been there during the launch of the ISS module were found on the swabs,” Mr Shkaplerov told TASS. “So they have flown from somewhere in space and settled on the outside hull.” He made clear that "it seems, there is no danger", and that scientists are doing more work to find out what they are.

It's been long suspected that life came originally to earth from outer space so this would verify their claims.

It's been long suspected that life came originally to earth from outer space so this would verify their claims.

It's certainly a possibility. Impacts on young planets with life could potentially seed their entire solar system and even nearby stars with microbe-rich asteroids, but this is speculation. We do know that many of the complex organic molecules that are used by Earth life happen to occur naturally in space and have rained down on us for as long as we've been around.

The ISS orbits at a fairly low altitude, it requires quite a bit of station keeping due to atmospheric drag. I think it's much more likely to be Earth microbes that flew up one way or another rather than space life that fell down, but who knows.

...or it could have come from that massive ball of festering life 200 some miles below, but let's jump to spectacular and least likely conclusions prior to examining evidence!

That's absurd! You obviously don't know how to science.

So, they're flying around Earth and the bacteria has to be from somewhere else? Seriously?

And the man said ... "There is no danger", "There is no danger", "There is no danger", "There is no danger"

Or the bacteria could have been blown into the highest atmosphere by a major storm on Earth. The space station is flying through the ultra-thin upper atmosphere, if it wasn't it wouldn't need to be boosted into higher orbits occasionally. And that means its easily plausible bacteria can get blown up there.

The ISS orbits at a fairly low altitude, it requires quite a bit of station keeping due to atmospheric drag. I think it's much more likely to be Earth microbes that flew up one way or another rather than space life that fell down, but who knows.

Absolute bullshit. STD proved it with the damn spore drive. And Goldblum in Jurassic Park 'life, uh, finds a way' seals the deal here! Aliens! :ROFLMAO:

Or it may have been flown up from another mission. Pure clickbait.
Yeah I was thinking that too, I mean did they actually look at the bacteria in a lab? break down it's RNA? Are they just speculating because it was found on the outside of the space station?

I seem to recall a story of a camera lens left on the surface of the Moon that had a colony of streptococus bacteria living inside it.. obviously alien!

When I read this the first thing that came to mind was the opening monologue from the original BSG series :)

For something as small and insignificant as the ISS to be hit by interstellar bacteria, the universe would have to be TEEMING with life.

Also, isn't this the plot of Prey?

I, for one, welcome our space amoeba overlords. May their rule be long and glorious, and they can't be any worse than the current crop of bacteria in national capitals around the world.

Hmm what's more likely ... bacteria floated through space for who knows how long, or that it hitched a ride from earth.

Put it under a microscope and prove it's not made in the same way life on Earth is made and I'll change my mind.

from RT https://www.rt.com/news/411039-living-bacteria-iss-surface/

"However, traces of bacteria originating on Earth – from Madagascar – and plankton from the Barents Sea were earlier found during a ‘Test’ experiment in May. Scientists explained that they got there due to the ionosphere lift phenomenon, in which substances from our planet’s surface rise to the upper atmospheric layer. Following the discovery, Russian space agency Roscosmos along with other scientists suggested raising the upper border of the biosphere to 400 kilometers from the current altitude of 20 kilometers."​

Unlike a meteor with a caustic payload impacting earth, is this the way The Blob will actually be started? Start with the space station inhabitants, station gets into disrepair and crashes into earth then The Blob continues on its rampage through the world. North and South poles excluded, of course. :D

I mean, the same thing happened with Native Americans when the Europeans came. It wasn't really as much of white people slaughtering them as it was foreign born diseases wiping out populations. Not just fictional movies and stories as above, but actual proof that foreign born agents will only spell catastrophe.

It's actually just a bunch of L. Acidophilus from when they pulled the ISS through the Space-FroYo stand. I wouldn't worry too much.

I, for one, welcome our space amoeba overlords. May their rule be long and glorious, and they can't be any worse than the current crop of bacteria in national capitals around the world.

Hmmm...space amoeba....noodely appendages....could this be the coming of the Pasta messiah?

I wonder what the bacteria would look like under a microscope... tall white head with big black eye?

I wonder what the bacteria would look like under a microscope... tall white head with big black eye?

Actually green. It's Fwiffo!

I'm thinking Star Control might be coming to life:

Fwiffo.png

Back