Backup Wan Arcitecutre

Manu

Limp Gawd
Currently I have my network running off of a single DS3 from the local telco. (knock on wood) things have been great. This is used for my point to point connections to gain internet access, this is what my VPN users come in through, and this is what handles corporate internet/mail/etc.

As my company grows in size and uptime becomes a greater concern and priority (at least from approvers/decision makers, the IT group as always felt this way) I want to look at having back ups in case my DS3 router or my DS3 itself goes down.

I am a bit at a loss for how I should setup my arcitecture for my network, as well as how to handle failover for things such as mail servers and VPN.

Any advice, links or discussions would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I have my network running off of a single DS3 from the local telco. (knock on wood) things have been great. This is used for my point to point connections to gain internet access, this is what my VPN users come in through, and this is what handles corporate internet/mail/etc.

As my company grows in size and uptime becomes a greater concern and priority (at least from approvers/decision makers, the IT group as always felt this way) I want to look at having back ups in case my DS3 router or my DS3 itself goes down.

I am a bit at a loss for how I should setup my arcitecture for my network, as well as how to handle failover for things such as mail servers and VPN.

Any advice, links or discussions would be greatly appreciated.
Will this DS3 be going to the same bandwidth provider or a different one, that will be where it makes the biggest difference.

My advice would be two border routers, and run BGP. Then either use VRRP on your internally facing interfaces, or setup a core router(s) which will then connect to each border router.

Back