• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Backup, USB hard drive not opening, recognized

RazorOye

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
150
Alright, I have a Seagate Barracuda 300GB 7200 RPM hard drive that I keep in Mobile Disk External Data Storage enclosure that I have partitioned into 4 sections, one each for:

1. my main computer's C: drive (app drive)
2. my main computer's F: drive (data drive)
3. my laptop
4. my wife's computer

I'd gotten into the routine of backing them all up every couple weeks, but haven't done it in months. So, I decided to go ahead and do it now while I am doing spring computer cleaning. Only, when I just connected it to my computer (tried it on two computers now) via USB 2.0 connection, nothing happened. I don't get the system tray icon and my drives don't appear in My Computer as they always have.

What might be the cause of this?

Is it the enclosure? is it the drive? How can I tell?

Last time I used it - probably 5-6 months - there was no problem. I just plugged it in and it was recognized.

The only thing I can think of that is different is the AC adapter. I just have one connected because I got tired of all my peripherals having their own adapter - wondered if it wasn't enough juice. Although, the unit's fan turns on and the LED's light up.

Any help is most appreciated. This really has me concerned
 
I'd try the stock adapter that came with the unit. Even though it is spinning up, that doesn't mean that there isn't something else going on.

If that doesn't work, I'd check the device manager and make sure the drive isn't just being listed as an "Unknown Device" or anything. I'd also check Disk Management and see if the drive is listed there as well. This way you can at least tell if the system is seeing the unit.

Worst case scenario, put another drive in the enclosure, or hook the drive that is in the enclosure to your PC internally to deduce the problem via elimination.....

Good luck, bro!
 
Ok i'm not saying this will help but it might end up forcing windows to see it as a new device.

1) Open the "Start" menu and choose "Run..."
2) Type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and click "ok".
3) At the cmd prompt, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (without the quotes) and press enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen--this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)
4) On the next cmd prompt line, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
5) In the Device Manager Console, from the "View" menu, select "Show Hidden Devices".

Uninstall all USB Mass Storage drivers that are grayed out. Then restart you pc, open device manager watch the USB it might come up when you go to plug it in. If it does show up then you know its not the device.

As far as i can tell since i'm having a similar problem. Its the USBSTOR files on Xp they get messed up very easily. Unfortunatly i havent been able to replace them with "clean" files from SP2 to see if this fixes the problem.

Even then i think there will be a few .dll or .sys files that might mess that up.

My problem is that it will show up in device manager and give me a taskbar saying its new but it will disconnect once the hdd spins up to normal speed.

Maybe this might help maybe it wont but its worth a try.
 
Back
Top