Backup/Transfer Question

Fr0nt1ine

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Messages
71
I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer the contents of a whole hard drive MINUS all of the Windows XP and drivers for old hardware to a new hard drive with new hardware with a fresh copy of Windows XP?

I really dont want to individually pick out the files and programs to my backup drive and have to transfer them all back. Would it be possible to just backup all the programs minus the old Windows XP? I lost the disk and key for the old copy of Windows XP and have a unusedone laying around. I dont want to have to mess with reinstalling it later when Im upgrading now.

Thanks!
 
You can easily get the key that is being used by using something like Belarc Advisor. That will pull the license keys for the programs installed. Moving programs won't normally work due to the number of registry keys they add during installation plus putting programs/files in other folders outside of the install folder.
 
Back
Top