• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Backup solution or option (Crashplan)

eagleknight

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
169
I already have my backup company and that is Crashplan. Although I am looking for feedback on what path I should take. I am running WHS 2011 and have about 500G of data I want to backup off site (mainly the other PC backups, music, and misc files). My video collection I don't plan to backup offsite and use folder duplication local due to the size.

Option 1: I can get a 2TB external drive and seed the initial backup and take it to my brother-in-laws house and use the friend option in Crashplan. I will probably still purchase the 10Gb plan for $25/year to have the advanced feature they provide.

Option 2: I could skip the 2TB external drive and and purchase the $50/year unlimited plan and backup what I need to Crashplan central. Initial backup would take probably 2 months. I have a 1Mb up for internet.

What is everyone thoughts. :)
 
Well if your data sets are getting too large where they outstrip sensibility then I would go with a local backup solution and use the offsite for only the really important stuff, your documents and maybe your music. Then I would leave the onsite backup for everything else.

That means that 2TB drive that you might fill should probably be in at least RAID1 until you can figure out what type of backup plan you need in relation to your budget.
 
I do option one with WHS 2011.

I have my important pictures/videos, documents and some computer backups replicated over to my friend's house after I did the initial seeding. I have the unlimited plan and backup my pictures/videos as well as my documents to CrashPlan central. What I like about backing up to CrashPlan is the unlimited revisions and they just came out with an Android app and other poeple can back up to you. Two of my friends use my server to back up to.

Locally I have a RAID 5 array holding my important data and a 1Tb drive for temp storage.
 
Back
Top