Backup solution help.

raksasas

Limp Gawd
Backups are not really my thing nor my responsibility till now, it seems. I have been tasked with backing up a server. The server is running 5 databases in SQL Express, Filemaker databases, and mission critical data stored on the server.

The main thing I know is that SQL Express has the ability to backup for the databases and that's about all I know.

So as the title states i sure do need some help on getting this server backed up.

Another recommendation for backup exec. But, we need to know some things:

1. What backup hardware to you plan on using? Tape? External hard drive? Network Drive or SAN Storage array LUN perhaps?
2. Will the databases be active, or will the I/O be stopped/quiesced when backups will occur? (I'm not a SQL person, so i'm not sure of express works like the full version). This will tell us what backup agents will need to be loaded on the server.
3. OS on the server is Windows based I assume?
4. What is the size of data being backed up, and what is your backup window?

These will allow us to gauge a backup solution/scheme. One big thing I can recommend is read up on the Sarbanes/Oxley Act of 2002. Thanks to the SEC and Enron, backups are a big deal these days. Here is more info:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS274&q=sarbanes+oxley

Mozy Pro is a online backup that will cover all that you want Price wise it is $7bucks a month for the services then $1.25 a gb. I got a bunch of grandfathered keys before they were bought out by EMC so I probably will be the cheapest price to get it. If you are interested PM me. Or just sign up for it.

Server 2003 standard
databases are small at thier current size. (don't know how to find out the true size)
yes the databases are active they are used 24/7

"What backup hardware to you plan on using? Tape? External hard drive? Network Drive or SAN Storage array LUN perhaps?" That is what I am needing to come up with. Few people I have talked to that are semi-IT savvy say don't do tape. I mainly want as automated as possible.

Fully automated, look into Mozy Pro. I usually configure it to do updates 7 times a day so it will backup atleast 7 times a day.

Fully automated, look into Mozy Pro. I usually configure it to do updates 7 times a day so it will backup atleast 7 times a day.

Sorry forgot to say.

Online storage has already already been shot down due to the data being police related.

Ok. Backup Exec is still a good recommendation. It's very straight forward and reliable. For backing up the databases live, 2 agents so far will need to be running on the server:

1. Advanced Open File Option
2. SQL Server Agent

I would get with a Symantec/Veritas rep to make sure the other databases/data on the server being backed up don't need agents too. I used to do tape drive/autoloader/library support, so personally I think tape is pure evil. But, tapes are easy to store offsite, have pretty long lifespans these days, and won't have their mechanics running 24/7 like the hard drives will. The price on tape technology isn't pretty, but you do get nice space with it. If you do go tape, my recommendation is LTO technology. I can't remember how many SuperDLT drives I replaced for stuck tapes, dropped leaders and other mechanical mishaps. Currentlty, LTO3 and LTO4 are the current/stable stages of LTO. LTO3 tapes will store 400gb native/800gb compressed (theoretically) per tape, and LTO4 will store 800gb native/1.6tb compressed (theoretically) per tape. I haven't had much exposure to the newer DDS/DAT technologies, but I haven't heard many horror stories about them. I run a DDS4 (20gb native/40gb compressed) autoloader at home, but it's not used for anything as hardcore as business use.

Another solution becoming popular, called a staged backup, is where you back up from disk to another disk, say SAN or NAS storage, then back up that data on the SAN/NAS storage to tape.

If it's just a handful of MSDE/SQL Express jobbers....and filemaker...why does built in NT backup with volume shadow copy bother you?

Will NT backup work with SQL Express running live? I'm not good with sql, so excuse my ignorance on it. For basic jobs that require like a single tape or to a network folder, NT backup shouldn't be too painful. I just remember NT backup being a pain in the ass if you had to use a tape autoloader or library. I just played with NT backup a little, and looks like you can do jobs within the advanced properties.

If it's just a handful of MSDE/SQL Express jobbers....and filemaker...why does built in NT backup with volume shadow copy bother you?

I don't use it because I've had to many backup files corrupted when they get over 1gb. It's a common problem. Just Google "ntbackup corruption".

I don't use it because I've had to many backup files corrupted when they get over 1gb. It's a common problem. Just Google "ntbackup corruption".

Probably users who don't exclude the system32\NTMSData folder from antivirus real time protection. ;) I've had it do right by me.

Budget? If you're just in the proposal stages then I'd recommend doing it right. If they shoot it down because of price or what-not later then it's on their heads.

Something like a small but well equipped Dell server, PowerVault ML4000 tape library and BackupExec would be overkill for one server but could easily grow to encompass a small to medium business. If the ML4000 is way out of their price range, look at the PowerVault 114T on the low end or 124T in the middle.

Since it's only one server at this point - NTBackup, properly implemented, would work just fine. Backup to local disk and then grab a 500GB external drive and move the files to it once a week before putting it in a safe.

Meh, just some thoughts.

Back