Backup software

delerious

Weaksauce
I've never really used any backup software because I have a RAID setup (yeah, I know RAID isn't a substitute for backing up). But now that I have a few laptops, I want to get into the habit of backing up. Is there any software (preferably free) that has the following features?

- Can run as a Windows service because I have both Administrator and limited-user accounts on the computers that I want to backup, and I don't want to have to log in to multiple accounts to backup everything.

- Can back up without using compression or encryption.

- Can select the files/folders that I do or don't want to backup.

- Can backup multiple versions of files, but lets me specify a file size limit (e.g. I only want to keep one version of files over 10MB, since keeping multiple versions of large files will cause the backup drive to run out of space fast).

- If I delete a file from my hard drive, I want the backup program to still keep that file on the backup drive but it should somehow indicate that the file has been deleted (maybe by adding ".deleted" to the filename on the backup drive).

- I want the backup for a computer to be fully contained in a subdirectory of the backup drive. That way I can have multiple subdirectories on the backup drive - one subdirectory for each computer I am backing up, and they will not interfere with each other.

Have you looked at Cobian? I'm not sure it does everything you want, but I've liked it so far (I use it on my windows machine). It is free.

If you are looking for cloud back-up Crasplan is pretty good (but not free).

I have also heard good things about Syncback, but have personally used it.

Back