• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Backup software with Tape Library supportrr

Hammer!

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
161
Hi, with used LTO4 and 5 tape libraries coming down in price, I thought it might be fun to have one for my home network. Does anyone have any recommendations for a backup software solutions that supports Tape Libraries that is relatively inexpensive? I don't need anything industrial strength, just something simple I can install on my server and tinker with. I have a DPM 2012r2 license, but I think that requires a DOMAIN based network and a separate server (although this part can be accomplished as a vm), and I'd rather not have to convert to a DOMAIN just to play around with this. Thanks! hammer.
 
I like bacula. There's a learning curve to it, but it's extremely flexible once you get the hang of it.

You can get a tape library LTO-4 for around 200-300$ on ebay. I suggest a Dell because HP and IBM have firmware updates on lock-down. The physical hardware is all made by IBM, but Dell doesn't force you into a service contract to get the firmware updates.
 
Back
Top