Backup software that lets me use HDDs like disks?

Brothernod

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to create a cheap offsite backup solution for 1.5TB of data. Currently I'm copying folders by hand to 3 500GB harddrives.

Is there a backup program that will automate that for me? Tell me to pop in a new hotswappable SATA drive when the one it's using is full?

Some backup programs can do this, but why not just buy a 1.5tb hard drive and solve your problems?

What about a tripple drive external enclosure (esata)?

1.5TB is just the current size of the array and will be growing soon, with a max size of 3.5TB.

When I bought the 500GB disks the 3 of them cost the same as a 1TB disk at the time, so I guess to answer your question price is the major concern. The next drive I purchase for the backup group will probably be a 1TB when I catch one on sale close to $100.

I check Acronis True Image Echo Workstation and it can't treat harddrives as disks. Not sure what other programs to look at.

1.5TB is just the current size of the array and will be growing soon, with a max size of 3.5TB.

When I bought the 500GB disks the 3 of them cost the same as a 1TB disk at the time, so I guess to answer your question price is the major concern. The next drive I purchase for the backup group will probably be a 1TB when I catch one on sale close to $100.

I check Acronis True Image Echo Workstation and it can't treat harddrives as disks. Not sure what other programs to look at.

Dell just had them a couple days ago for $110 each.

1. Please do not tell me you are using this for a business solution. If you are, start preparing your resume, because it is only a matter of time before you get fired.

2. Any backups to disk should be done over a network, not local and then hand carried off site. Any time you move a drive, you take a risk of slamming the heads and losing your data. That is why people use tapes for such backups.

It's for a friend's small business, and it's a hell of a lot better than nothing. Tape drives for this much data cost thousands of dollars, so don't go judging. It's an excellent solution for the situation.

1. Please do not tell me you are using this for a business solution. If you are, start preparing your resume, because it is only a matter of time before you get fired.

2. Any backups to disk should be done over a network, not local and then hand carried off site. Any time you move a drive, you take a risk of slamming the heads and losing your data. That is why people use tapes for such backups.

It beats not having any backup at all.

Secondly, thousands of businesses and school systems uses this sneakernet method and it's working great so far, dell is actually expanding their backup line to include disk cartrige systems for small business.

Thirdly, where do you get "heads slamming" from? Drives when powered off goes into a parked mode. If your logic follows, then it would be impossible to ship hard drives to anyone and laptops would be impossible ;)

*Looks like the anti disk storage crowd has arrived (tape fanboys)*

Since you asked, I get head slamming from the fact that laptop drives are made for it, and drives that go into systems for general storage are not. The same with the Dell drive cartridges, they are a special engineered product. But pulling normal drives and walking them somewhere else, that is not a professional solution. If you honestly believe that a drive going into "park" mode will save it from damage when being jostled, then go right on ahead. That park feature you talk about has been around for a long time, and people still have hard drives fail after computer moves all the time, and in fact, it is one of the more prevelent reasons computers do not survive a move. Don't come crying back to the forum asking how to recover your data one day when it is not there.

Secondly, if you are running a business, and you could possibly lose your whole busines if your server burns down, how can you not afford to do it right. If you have 1.5 TB of data to back up, then you have a lot of peoples work youa re backing up. How much would it costs to recreate the whole amount of data? How many hours of work? How much does it compare to the cost of a legitimate backup solution that is bullet proof enough that you can sleep at night and know it is working? There are backup solutions for all ranges of businesses. Just find one that works for your price range.

Since you asked, I get head slamming from the fact that laptop drives are made for it, and drives that go into systems for general storage are not. The same with the Dell drive cartridges, they are a special engineered product. But pulling normal drives and walking them somewhere else, that is not a professional solution. If you honestly believe that a drive going into "park" mode will save it from damage when being jostled, then go right on ahead. That park feature you talk about has been around for a long time, and people still have hard drives fail after computer moves all the time, and in fact, it is one of the more prevelent reasons computers do not survive a move. Don't come crying back to the forum asking how to recover your data one day when it is not there. If you are going to back it up to a hard drive at least set it up on another computer and move it across the network.

Secondly, if you are running a business, and you could possibly lose your whole busines if your server burns down, how can you not afford to do it right. If you have 1.5 TB of data to back up, then you have a lot of peoples work youa re backing up. How much would it costs to recreate the whole amount of data? How many hours of work? How much does it compare to the cost of a legitimate backup solution that is bullet proof enough that you can sleep at night and know it is working? There are backup solutions for all ranges of businesses. Just find one that works for your price range.

Actually laptop drives (especially newer ones) are made to handle being moved etc when running. Any standard drive when powered down can handle a surprising amount of shock force and not be damaged. (on the order of 300 times the force of gravity and not void the warranty)

As for a solution, one option is something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332017

As far as backup software that will treat drives as removable media, I am not aware of any.

I'm fine with the solution as I haven't seen anything that comes anywhere near it price wise. I have a duplicate of 1.5TB of data stored off site for fire safety, and if one of the backup disks dies I just replace it. The likelyhood of the server and the backup drives dying at the same time is so small I'm not concerned. Atleast not for now.

But that's not the point. Unless you're going to show me a tape drive with 1TB tapes that doesn't cost $2k I'm fine with my solution.

The question was if there was software I could use for the backup.

I appreciate any constructive input.

Areca has a CLI Client for their cards so you can write a script to mount the drive to a certain drive letter every time and then any basic backup software should work fine, and put them in some hot swap bays and just swap them out and what not. I think the drive solution is a great idea, most of the newer drives i think park the heads when they are turned off, but i'm not sure on how long they're good to be stored for. But is so freakin cheap, we got a 4 thousand dollar tape solution at work, it's slow and expensive, i'm seeing if i can get the okay to make a drive solution it's cheap and easy to expand. If i get to do it i'll post the script, i can't imagine it being that hard at all.

Another alternative would be to do online backups via your own server at a co-located facility, it runs at 50 bucks a month. Contact me if you are interested.

Another alternative would be to do online backups via your own server at a co-located facility, it runs at 50 bucks a month. Contact me if you are interested.

1.5TB to 3TB are not going to backup to an offsite location without a serious investment in bandwidth.

1.5TB to 3TB are not going to backup to an offsite location without a serious investment in bandwidth.

Most remote backup services provide a way or method to send the first full backup via portable hard drive. From there only the changes are backed up over the 'net.

Most remote backup services provide a way or method to send the first full backup via portable hard drive. From there only the changes are backed up over the 'net.

That's interesting, I was unaware of that.

I might consider that in the future, but it's mostly hd video which comes in 10s of GB at a time, it still wouldn't quite work out.

Back