Backup Software Solution Suggestion

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
I figure I chime in on the boards here to get some suggestions for an application to use to backup files from my desktop to my Synology Nas. I know Synology has the Cloud Station Server, but I wanted just something basic to backup My documents, Downloads, and Music folders to the Nas on a daily schedule.

Use the free Windows included cmd line tool robocopy to sync these folders to a NAS as a planned task or as a cmd textfile that you create on the desktop to run it on demand.

There are a number of free Windows applications (Veeam, AOMEI and more) out there that have the choice of backing up either entire systems, volumes or just particular folders. Any of these would do exactly what you would like, whether your have your NAS mounted UNC or as a mapped drive. They can be set to backup on specific days/times that you can choose. Just set and forget.

Sweet, I just wanted mainly just my documents folder and desktop to be set for that. Someone at work suggested Comodo as a backup solution.

There are a lot of them. Most have free versions. Download them all and try them all, see which one you like. I personally use Veeam Endpoint Free for my home Windows boxes.

veeam's windows backup sw works well. Note that you do NOT need to be using any of their VM backup stuff - this just backs up to a CIFS share. Can also be used to do a bare metal backup of the whole system...

I'll second (and/or third) Veeam. I use it for my workstations and my VMs, it's incredibly simple to use, and it works well. For backing up my large media folders however, I use Allway Sync.

Back