Backup Software Recomendation

Simmonz

2[H]4U
I am trying to find backup software to use on my wife's Windows 10 system. I used to use Iperius until I realized that they don't delete files in the backup that no longer exist so when I restored the files I got back a bunch of crap I didn't want that was long since deleted because it had just been adding to it and adding to it but never getting rid of deleted junk.

My needs are an incremental backup that will delete a file in the destination if it is no longer in source. Two bonus points would be if the program stored the backup as files not in an image so that I could leaf through it if needed and if it were open source.

I have tried several programs so far that didn't meet my needs such as URBackup, Iperius, Duplicity and Duplicati 2. I thought Duplicati 2 would be suitable until i did a test backup last night and it only backed up 138GB of her 262GB of data for some reason so that won't work for me. I don't mind if the program costs money so long as the license isn't horeshit like a one time download and then I have to pay again.

I think you need to ask a different question. Backup software, by definition, does not delete specific files if they are gone from the source. That would be a catastrophe. However, a program that syncs files will delete specific files if they are gone on the source side. Backups and syncing are two distinct processes.

https://allwaysync.com/ngo

I use this to keep a 1x copy of my user drive on my local computer where my documents, downloads, videos, pictures, etc. are located.

I also use Windows 10 file history which works very well.

Recuvra works well for me, and I believe hits your marks.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

That's a program to recover deleted files. Thank you for taking the time to respond though.

I think you need to ask a different question. Backup software, by definition, does not delete specific files if they are gone from the source. That would be a catastrophe. However, a program that syncs files will delete specific files if they are gone on the source side. Backups and syncing are two distinct processes.

https://allwaysync.com/ngo

I use this to keep a 1x copy of my user drive on my local computer where my documents, downloads, videos, pictures, etc. are located.

I also use Windows 10 file history which works very well.

Fair point about my wording. That actually looks like it may be what i'm after. I'll give it a go, thank you.

I like ARQ, but it isn't for Linux - so I may ditch it soon. Nice to have the same software across platforms, especially when Linux is the host. However, I could stomach a customer Linux backup + ARQ for Windows/OSX. Linux is easier to backup anyway due to the more logical/accessible filesystem.

What you didn't state is... images or file level backup?

My needs are an incremental backup that will delete a file in the destination if it is no longer in source. Two bonus points would be if the program stored the backup as files not in an image so that I could leaf through it if needed and if it were open source.

If you did image-level with something such as StorageCraft ShadowProtect for desktop - you could do say weekly full images with daily incremental. Then if you ever had to restore it would not included deleted files. The images can be directly mounted and browsed as well for file level restore.

Back