Backup Software for Remote Users

djnes

Fully [H]
I currently have about 20 remote users. The Admin before me setup Folder Redirection of My Documents to a server, which works flawlessly for people in the office, but very rarely for people who are remote. I want to find some software that would allow them to back up their systems once a week or whenever they clicked an icon, with very little user interaction on their part. At first, I thought about using SyncToy, and just having them connect via the VPN, and then run SyncToy. I'd have to add the options to grab their documents, favorites, etc. I am left with some questions though.

1) Is there anything better (and cheap, since we are a non-profit) that would do the incrimental backups, only copying over changes or updates?
2) Is there a product that does the above, and would let me package somehow the options for locations to backup?

This probably seems vague, so ask away if more info is needed. They are all XP SP2 clients, and I already have home directories setup on the server based on username.

VPN and synctoy would work, or you could use VPN and Windows backup, both would be cheap solutions.

With Windows Backup, would there be any way to combine several file locations to be included, into one job....and then have a shortcut on the desktop to run that job?

I don't want to set a schedule, because these people are often travelling and offline through the day, so there isn't a set time that would be good for them. I like the fact that Windows Backup allows incremental backups, and would be very easy for me to open the files and restore documents.

I'll have to tinker with it later to see if it can auto run from an icon. Sorry i don't have time to right now.

Edit: On second thought, you can set the automated tasks to run once the user logs in if they are off line.

Cobian Backup should do everything you are looking for and it's free. I have used it on my home PC and it worked very well.

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

New on version 8

The program uses now Unicode functions whenever it can. Using compression and FTP will use ANSI functions, of course because of limitations on those formats or the FTP protocol. If you don't use compression or FTP, the program will always handle your file names as Unicode.
The program uses now memory mapped files for inter-process communication. All the TCP communication used in older versions has been eliminated.
A new method of encryption has been added: RSA-Rijndael, which uses a 256-bit Rijndael encryption with a random key that is itself encrypted used a 1024-bit RSA asymmetric key.
Sensitive settings as passwords are now stored in the ini file using strong encryption
The program is now a "green" application. All the files are stored in ini files. The only part that used the registry is the service, which, for obvious reasons must be installed using the registry. A green application, of course is not necessarily a good thing, but some people (often for "religious" reasons) seem to think that this is a good thing. Oh, well...
A feature allows you now you execute individual tasks under different user accounts. The task will then try to impersonate the user and execute the task under that account.
The 256 characters path limit is now GONE thanks to Unicode. The file and paths names can now be up to 32000 characters long.
Now you can close programs using also their class names.
Better SQX error handling.
Full service control from the Option dialog.
The mirroring effect that you got while compressing AND overwriting has been thankfully eliminated.
LOTS of bugs fixed
A better user interface.
FTP transfers of larger files (> 2 GB are now supported)
New on version 7

Designed and written from scratch

Zip64 for zip files larger than 2 GB

SQX compression

Backup FROM and TO a FTP server

Limit the speed of your FTP transfers

SSL servers supported

The program can now remind you if you have missed backups

Strong encryption: Supported methods are Blowfish (128 bit), Rijndael (128 bit) and DES (64 bit)

An open plug-in architecture to allow the program's enhancement

The interprocess communication is done using TCP/IP. This allows a better communication between the program parts AND the program can be administrated from another machine anywhere in the world.

Backup to multiple destinations

A backup history is displayed

Compressed files can now be split

A new user interface

Remote backup

Automatically remove old backups

The application can be used as a command line utility. No separate command line program is needed

Back