Backup over network?

zachary80

2[H]4U
Is there a good program that can backup files over a network?

One computer is WinXP Home and the other is Pro

What are your specific needs? Drag and drop works fine if you're just backing up occasionally.

Ghost Corporate will do this. You can find it at most computer shows pretty cheap.

a more advanced solution is dar, which will create an archive similar to tar, but for disk-based systems as opposed to tape. command-line based, and difficult to use, but still a quite advanced backup system.

however, i think you're probably looking at ghost corporate. good way to go. do not under any circumstances say "home will be good enough" as it has some intentionally completely broken functionality which makes it fairly useless for long-term backups.

if your just looking to send files back and forth, a simple bat file scheduled with launchpas works nicely

I want to be able to keep my music files the same on two computers. The idea is, the main noisy computer would have all the music, but then I would use my quiet system for actually listening, so when they are both on it would make sure all the same files are on the silent as on the main. The program would make sure all the files stay exactly the same, that way my playlists and tags are updated on both computers.

XOR != OR said:
Why not just share the files from one system to another?

I could do that if I kept them all on the silent computer, but the computer room gets heated up pretty quick and I would rather not have them both on all the time.

zachary80 said:
Is there a good program that can backup files over a network?

One computer is WinXP Home and the other is Pro

Robocopy, provided by Micrsoft, is a small 70k utility that will copy anything you want in a variety of ways. The most common way is to have it mirror a drive. We use this utility on a regular basis at our company, which has over 2500 devices. It also works slick to right a VBScript to automate the process if it occurs often.

use rsync for this. go to the site, get the "precompiled binary" and "cygwin.dll" at the top. open cmd, and run it to see options. this will let you sync without necessarily copying all the files. if the checksums match it doesn't copy anything. it will also transfer only the parts which have changed if the network is slow (wireless, 10mbit, dsl/cable). this would do what you want, and it's easy to automate. simplest would be a startup.bat in your startup folder which calls this with correct options. also, it's gpl so there are no ms licensing problems. ;)

I second robocopy. Spend some time figuring it out and it'll do everything you need.

I need to ghost a partition on my laptop; are there any free programs that'll do it for me?

I have a XP Pro box that's on a network.

Back