Backup domain controller

tgray96

[H]ard|Gawd
I am wanting to set my W2K Server as a backup for my 2K3 DC, any help :) yes i did search google ( before a certain person chews my ass)

Depends on your DC's functunality level.

if the functunality level is set at win2k, then you can use a win2k server as your back up DC

However, if I'm to make an assumption here, I'm going to guess the 2k3 server was orginally set up with 2k3 functuanlity, in which case, yes, you could not set up a 2kserver as a backup/secondary DC.

There may be a way to reduce the functunalioty level, but I do not know of any ways off the top of my head.

I believe chilly is correct for the most part. If you setup your 2k3 server to be a native 2k3 domain I believe your 2k server is out of luck. However if you leave all DC options at their default when you had set it up it should of made the DC a 2k/2k3 domain.
You can take it to 2k3 native, however you can not step backwards.
don't quote me, still studying for MCSA/MCSE :p

Chilli is correct. In the OP's situation, it all depends on the Domain Functionality Level. To check that,
-Log on to your 2003 DC and open up "Active Directory Domains and Trusts."
-Right-click on your domain and select "Properties."
It will list the current forrest level and domain level. You can make the determination of how to proceed from there.

Also for the record. PDC and BDC are no longer proper terms. They are all simply DC's now.

Depends on your DC's functunality level.

if the functunality level is set at win2k, then you can use a win2k server as your back up DC

However, if I'm to make an assumption here, I'm going to guess the 2k3 server was orginally set up with 2k3 functuanlity, in which case, yes, you could not set up a 2kserver as a backup/secondary DC.

There may be a way to reduce the functunalioty level, but I do not know of any ways off the top of my head.

Chilli is correct. In the OP's situation, it all depends on the Domain Functionality Level. To check that,
-Log on to your 2003 DC and open up "Active Directory Domains and Trusts."
-Right-click on your domain and select "Properties."
It will list the current forrest level and domain level. You can make the determination of how to proceed from there.

Domain Funtionality Level: Win 2K Mixed
Forest Funtionality Level: Windows 2000

Also for the record. PDC and BDC are no longer proper terms. They are all simply DC's now.
I still have had to move FSMO roles from 2003 to 2008. they are easy to seize of course, so it doesn't really matter if they are migrated correctly or not.

Domain Funtionality Level: Win 2K Mixed
Forest Funtionality Level: Windows 2000
ok you should be good to go..
just run dcpromo on the 2000 server, or install the active directory role.

how do i actually use it as backup? some setting i should change on the workstations or other DC?

Back