backup and restore user directory??

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I have a few machines that I will be changing from one domain to another, and when I do, I realize that all user settings and etc.. will be in "username.domain".... when I join them to the new domain it will make them a new profile on their machine calledm "username.newdomain" soooooo how do I take all their settings, files, cookies, etc. from one username and put them in the other username?? Can I just login as admin and copy paste?? Or is there a special way/special program to do this??

Thanks.

What I do is copy the folder to somewhere else before making then changes, let the system create the new profile and folders, then copy their info into the new profile folder. What i've found is that if you just copy the whole directory over, is that when the user logs in for the first time, it will create a new profile anyways with different characters. I found this when reloading a user's system and just copied the whole profile directory over. Same domain though....

What I do is copy the folder to somewhere else before making then changes, let the system create the new profile and folders, then copy their info into the new profile folder. What i've found is that if you just copy the whole directory over, is that when the user logs in for the first time, it will create a new profile anyways with different characters. I found this when reloading a user's system and just copied the whole profile directory over. Same domain though....

Thats the way I used to always do it, but lately I have just been using the files and settings transfer wizard in windows. run it in the the old profile then import it to the new profile. works great. After tried it couple times I wondered why it never dawned on me to do that way. I've used it to move users from one domain to another as well as just swapping out pc's. Though on rare occasions i have had it fail to import had to resort the doing it the ole fashioned way.

If you're going to be doing a lot of users and PC's, you should look into the WIndows Migration tool. Look on microsofts page for ADMT. It will copy the old SID with the new domain SID. So you migrate the user account, then the PC, when the log on, it's the same profile. I would look into that if you were doing a ton of people.

+1 for ADMT. If it's just a few people then I would FASTWIZ it. Make sure you run CCleaner before you FASTWIZ, though, otherwise it will copy all the cookies and temp internet files, etc.

Back