• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

backplane woes

loosh

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
85
so i picked up an RM12404 chassis from chenbro a little while back and it came with a port to port sata backplane. in a 1U chassis this is kind of a cabling nightmare. i emailed chenbro and they jerked me around for over a month to finally tell me they no longer manuf. the mini-sas backplane. on the site what i need is part number 84H312410-044 but according to the emails i need 84H311710-054 and 84H311710-047. are there any other backplanes that would fit in this chassis? or can i get a fan out cable with varying lengths? on top of the very strange psu placement i'm starting to regret this purchase with chenbro as it's just been an overall pain in the butt.
 
Last edited:
This is why I prefer paying more for Supermicro chassis: great universal PSUs, great cabling, great support.
 
yeah, trying to save money is just going to wind up costing me money now. on that note - is there any supermicro case with at least 4 3.5" hotswap bays i can drop a CEB board into? :p
 
Unit arrived yesterday. Extremely solid and well-built. Unfortunately, I need to wait for a 2-hr or so time slot where I can transplant the guts from the old case to this one.
 
mine just arrived today! unboxed and sitting on my table next to the chenbro nightmare now, will transplant the organs later. thanks for the suggestion.
 
Sadly, I think I need to go another route. Turns out my HBA will not fit properly in the 2U slot, so I think I will be ebay'ing the unit, unless someone here wants it...
 
Unit arrived yesterday. Extremely solid and well-built. Unfortunately, I need to wait for a 2-hr or so time slot where I can transplant the guts from the old case to this one.
Were you able to find an extension PSMI cable or did you just splice it to connect it to the motherboard? I can't find anyone selling PSMI extensions.

Sadly, I think I need to go another route. Turns out my HBA will not fit properly in the 2U slot, so I think I will be ebay'ing the unit, unless someone here wants it...
Are you sure? I've never heard of a 3U HBA...most likely you can just unscrew the full-height bracket and put a small one on it.
 
The HBA fits okay (very tight though.) The problem is the SAS cables plug into the top of the board and would have to be folded down at a 90 degree angle - very tight fit. Probably would have been okay, but given the other issues, like I don't have a LP bracket for it, so it seemed best to move on to a tower format... Also, the location is right near the tv in the family room, so the fan noise was a bit much...
 
Last edited:
The problem is the SAS cables plug into the top of the board and would have to be folded down at a 90 degree angle - very tight fit.
Why not just use right-angle SAS cables?

I don't have a LP bracket for it
Grab some sheet metal or metal mesh at home depot and cut one out?

Also, the location is right near the tv in the family room, so the fan noise was a bit much.
It comes with PWM fans, so they can be set as loud or as quiet as you want. Was the issue noise at min spin-up speed? If so, you can always replace them with quieter models. The airflow in this case is very straight and close to the motherboard so you should be fine unless you're using an extremely powerful cpu/video card.
 
Sigh, I appreciate the advice, but I'm not looking for help to use this. I already have the other cables and am not interested in doing sheetwork and such. Again, not meaning to sound ungrateful, but procuring replacement cables, fans, etc, is more trouble than I really want to go through...
 
first thing i did was rip out the 3x80mm fans and drop in some panaflos. shame you have to get rid of it, it's not a bad case :p only problem for me so far is i need to dremel out a slot in the airduct for my power cables since they come in at an awkward angle (SSI CEB board). but that will only take 5 minutes.
 
Back
Top