• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

backplane sataI or sataII

razzta02

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
8
Hi, i have been doing some research and found some 1U sata backplanes with 4
ports, but i am not sure if they are just sata I or sata II. Can anyone confirm iut to me pls? I need sata II.
Backplanes selected:
-SuperMicro SAS-815T Rev 1.00
-SuperMicro SATA813 Rev 2.1
-SuperMicro SATA813S Rev 1.02
-Supermicro SATA833 Rev 3.0
-Supermicro SAS815TQ
-SuperMicro 826TQ-R800LPV
Supermicro SAS826TQ Rev 3.1
Rgds.
 
They connect via SAS you know? Which will use one big arse connector and not be something you can plug into any old motherboard with SATA.

What I'm not 100% on, but somewhat sure about, is that SATA I or II, doesn't matter. Technically SATA-III shouldn't either, though might need to have the channels separated in order to gain the full speed it was designed for.

You need to explain your usage intents, hardware and spending limits in order to get responses to really help you much :)
 
Those look like they're all pass through backplanes so it won't matter which generation of SATA drives you connect. FYI, since you're looking for a 1U backplane, the 826 is a 2U and the 833 is a 3U.
 
They connect via SAS you know? Which will use one big arse connector and not be something you can plug into any old motherboard with SATA.
You need to explain your usage intents, hardware and spending limits in order to get responses to really help you much :)

Hi, models:
-SuperMicro SATA813 Rev 2.1
-SuperMicro SATA813S Rev 1.02
-Supermicro SATA833 Rev 3.0
...are all sata. In this models I guess I can connect my usual sataII cable, and also plug in my sataII hdd in the other end connector.

Same for the other models, because they are sata/sas models (none of them use any mini-sas connector, just normal sata connectors). On the other end (where the hhd connects to the backplane) I think it accepts both type of disks too.

I am connecting the backplanes to my md sata ports and to my ibm m1015 (which has 2 mini-sas connectors. Planning building 20 hdd´s storage for Unraid. And trying to spend as little as possible.
Rgds.
 
Those look like they're all pass through backplanes so it won't matter which generation of SATA drives you connect. FYI, since you're looking for a 1U backplane, the 826 is a 2U and the 833 is a 3U.
Yes, I know, just wanted to make sure about what sata speed was delivered by them (since they are different models).
Rgds.
 
Hi, models:
-SuperMicro SATA813 Rev 2.1
-SuperMicro SATA813S Rev 1.02
-Supermicro SATA833 Rev 3.0
...are all sata.
In this models I guess I can connect my usual sataII cable, and also plug in my sataII hdd in the other end connector.

Same for the other models, because they are sata/sas models (none of them use any mini-sas connector, just normal sata connectors). On the other end (where the hhd connects to the backplane) I think it accepts both type of disks too.

I am connecting the backplanes to my md sata ports and to my ibm m1015 (which has 2 mini-sas connectors. Planning building 20 hdd´s storage for Unraid. And trying to spend as little as possible.
Rgds.

Sorry, I don't know how I missed that! :(

If it's standard SATA on both connections on the cable and HDD portion of the drive, then I can't see why those wouldn't work for all SATA connections. I've been looking for stuff like this but cheap, for a case project, but most of it is SAS unfortunately :) Luckily you have both to use heh
 
Those look like they're all pass through backplanes so it won't matter which generation of SATA drives you connect. .
Hi again, supermicro does not answer my question, can anyone confirm these backplanes are pass-through?
Rgds.
 
Hi again, supermicro does not answer my question, can anyone confirm these backplanes are pass-through?
Rgds.
Hi, answer from Supermicro:
"The ones you listed are all passive type, they work with all speed.
So speed will depend on your controller and HDD."
Rgds.
 
Back
Top