Backlight Bleed

FOSS-I

Weaksauce

Here's a good backlight bleed test. I'd be curious to know which screens you're using and how they perform against this test. Of course it should be run full screen.

My two HP IPS screens are surprisingly excellent. One is almost perfectly uniform and the other is very close as well.

I returned an Asus VZ249HE IPS that had very bad backlight bleed when tested just the same.

Is bad backlight bleed generally related to bad handling of the product from the time it leaves the factory to the time it arrives with the customer?

Is bad backlight bleed generally related to bad handling of the product from the time it leaves the factory to the time it arrives with the customer?
Most likely not. Luck is involved with any model (called the panel lottery for a reason), but some types are more susceptible to this than others (side/bottom lit screens, etc.). Might be a cost saving measure by manufacturers (QA or assembly time).

Well, to be fair, the backlight bleed that was really bad when testing the Asus was really not an issue during normal operation. It was just very visible on booting up the computer and doing an actual bleed test. I really don't think most people would mind. By the way, is 75Hz an improvement over 60Hz for office computing?

By the way, is 75Hz an improvement over 60Hz for office computing?
Well, it won't hurt. But won't help much either. If cost was the same or marginally higher I would take it. Helps more if it has Freesync and you ever consider playing on it as well, there it will help widen the Freesync range which is very narrow on 60Hz screens (40-60Hz on most). Strictly for office, you might see a minor difference when scrolling and moving the mouse cursor, but it won't be night and day. What you don't want is 30Hz, cause that one really is a slideshow on the desktop as well...

The thing that should disturb anyone is that backlight bleed is a modern concern. I refuse to believe it has always been there.

I've owned IPS panels since 2005 and I never noticed blb as an issue until recently.

It seems we've gone from a golden age of minimal blb to an era where blb is just an accepted defect.

Whether it's due to a shift in how panels are manufactured or a decrease of quality assurance, I don't know. I'm sure it has everything to do with cost savings.

I found this:

"Refresh rates do make a difference. I can't do 30hz 4k. Kills my eyes so I had to get a new card to do 60hz on all three 4k monitors. I haven't tried the 120hz monitors yet."

Why would 30Hz kill his eyes for basic office work?

Regarding bleed and glow, I have two HP IPS screens from 2015 to 2017 with almost perfect backlight performance.

I read: "At present, most smartphone displays have a 60Hz refresh rate, or in other words, even if you are viewing a static image, your display is redrawing the same picture or is pushing the same frame 60 times every second. At times people tend to get confused between higher refresh rates and higher frame rates (Hz vs FPS).May 10, 2020"

Therefore based on that it's understandable why higher refresh would be easier on the eyes same as how a higher refresh rate on a CRT is easier. I used to run my CRT never at the standard 75Hz refresh, but instead at 100Hz. This was definitely superior.

However, LCDs don't work the same so I'm wondering if it's psychological that turning my display from 60Hz to 50Hz seems to fatigue my eyes faster when doing normal office work.

Back