• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Backlight bleed? samsung un32f5500

TheSteal

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 17, 2011
Messages
175
Just got a samsung un32f5500. I've noticed when I'm viewing it in a dark room at night dark scenes in movies appear bluish. When I view a full black image on the screen there isn't bleed from the corners, its more like the whole screen is just lit up(kind of a blue tone). Is this a simple settings adjust, or backlight bleed?

sorry I don't have pictures right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
 
Just got a samsung un32f5500. I've noticed when I'm viewing it in a dark room at night dark scenes in movies appear bluish. When I view a full black image on the screen there isn't bleed from the corners, its more like the whole screen is just lit up(kind of a blue tone). Is this a simple settings adjust, or backlight bleed?

sorry I don't have pictures right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
That sounds normal. You'll see some light shining through even with contrast ratio of 5000:1. Unless its a 16-235 thing going on there? Is it only when you use it through computer or with other inputs as well?

Do an image search on google for "backlight bleed" btw. You'll see how bad it can get.
 
That sounds normal. You'll see some light shining through even with contrast ratio of 5000:1. Unless its a 16-235 thing going on there? Is it only when you use it through computer or with other inputs as well?

Do an image search on google for "backlight bleed" btw. You'll see how bad it can get.

Cool, its all different inputs. I'm not near the display right now but would reducing the backlight be a fix? also what do you mean by 16-235?
 
If it is uniform then it is not backlight bleed.

Most displays show black as a slight off colour, most display it as a red, I have seen some displays where it is VERY red.
 
If it is uniform then it is not backlight bleed.

Most displays show black as a slight off colour, most display it as a red, I have seen some displays where it is VERY red.

good to know, yeah its really uniform. now i just need to find the correct settings for night viewing.
 
Here's a review of the F5000 which has a few less features. Panel Lottery applies. I have last years UN32EH5300 which is basically the same as the F5000 HD TV Test reviewed, I set the backlight to 5 and brightness to 44 when calibrating it to 140cdm/2. Decreasing the brightness further causes black crush.
 
good to know, yeah its really uniform. now i just need to find the correct settings for night viewing.

Get a colour meter such as a X-Rite or Spyder4 and correctly calibrate the display.

They each come in multiple models getting more advanced but the entry versions start at $69.00

The X-Rite ColorMunk and X-Rite i1Display Pro can also monitor room brightness and change monitor settings on the fly for best colours and contrast.


And yeah no LCD monitor can display black, they are always slightly red, green or blue.
In your case the blue pixels have a lower contrast ratio then the red or green ones so they see then when it displays black.
 
Here's a review of the F5000 which has a few less features. Panel Lottery applies. I have last years UN32EH5300 which is basically the same as the F5000 HD TV Test reviewed, I set the backlight to 5 and brightness to 44 when calibrating it to 140cdm/2. Decreasing the brightness further causes black crush.

great info! thanks!
 
Bought the similar 32F5000 back on friday for €270 and it's very, very good. Panel quality seems to be better than the more expensive Sony W653 (€500). No dead pixels, colors are even all over the screen, minimal to non-existent DSE, banding and backlighting.

Is it perfect? No, because the base is slightly wobbly, the red light when its on standby is too strong and cannot be deactivated, bezels aren't as thin as they are on the Sony (and it's glossy plastic instead of matte) and it has slightly more input lag (~28ms). Overall, I'm very happy with it.
 
Bought that same 32F5000 back on friday for €270 and it's very, very good. Panel quality seems to be better than the more expensive Sony W653 (€500). No dead pixels, colors are even all over the screen, minimal to non-existent DSE or banding.

Is it perfect? No, because the base is slightly wobbly, the red light when its on standby is too strong and cannot be deactivated, bezels aren't as thin as they are on the Sony (and it's glossy plastic instead of matte) and it has slightly more input lag (~28ms). Overall, I'm very happy with it.

how do you feel about the black levels? specifically when viewing at night? what settings do you use?
 
Back
Top